Thursday, November 1, 2012

Me, Saint?



Today’s WORD (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/110112.cfm) encourages us to aspire to become a saint.

When one hears the term “saint”, we have a connotation that it is something reserved for holy people. We feel that we are too normal, or even to sinful, to eventually become a saint. God says otherwise.

In the gospel, we see Jesus telling us the beatitudes. Some people call it the be-attitudes. These are things we should live by, or things that should inspire us as we live for God. We see the promises of God to us, especially when we suffer on earth doing God’s work.

As we live the beatitudes, the second reading further inspires us. What we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed, we shall be like Him. As children of God doing his work, we shall one day be like him, we shall one day be a saint.

Not all of those who do good are recognized, or are properly recognized by the Church as saints, but this should not prevent us from wanting and trying to be one. Whatever we are, wherever we do, we can live like saints. These saints we know were normal too, human beings like us who have their own weaknesses and issues. However, they did not stop there. They did not let these things get the best of them, and they still persisted in living their lives for God. So should we.

Who is my favourite saint? What is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word “saint”? Do I see myself as a saint, or do I belittle myself and think that God cannot work mightily through me because of my imperfections?

Father God,
Thank you for today. As we commemorate the solemnity of the saints today, may I have the heart and the desire to live my life like one. I know I am far from perfect, I am far from being a holy person. I have a lot of issues, concerns, bad habits and attitudes. But Lord, the saints had these things too. Help me put my focus on you and live my life for you, trusting that as I do, you will slowly purify me and mold me to become more and more like you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...