Sunday, November 11, 2012

Give to Receive


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111112.cfm) reminds me that we need to give to receive God’s real blessings.

Nowadays, prepaid services are very rampant. In prepaid mobile phone usage, you have to pay first for the load before you receive it. In online bookings, you have to pay for your flight before you even take the trip. In some restaurants, especially on special occasions, you have to pay for your meal before you even enter the restaurant. You have to give the payment first before you receive the service. This is similar to what God wants from us. Give to receive.

In the first reading and the gospel, we see two very generous widows. During that time, widows were really in a difficult situation. The men dominated society, and women and children get their identity from the men in their family. These men work to give them food and to support them. Women and children had no identity at that time, much more a widow. We could just imagine how tough life was for them, but that did not hinder them from giving God their all, their best.

Does God want to rob us of everything? Do we need to strip ourselves of everything to be able to serve Him?

I don’t think so. God does not necessarily want, or need, everything from us. What he wants is a willing heart. He wants us to be detached from anything of this world and willing to serve him, placing our full trust in Him. He wants us to be able to empty ourselves with our own concerns, our needs and wants – and desire only to serve Him.

Only when we are empty of ourselves can God fill us with everything of his.

If we hold on to material things, if we hold on to superficial and harmful relationships, if we hold on to bad habits, God cannot fill us up. We cannot receive God’s perfect and infinite blessings if we do not have space for it in our lives. We need to let go of our attachments, and completely empty ourselves, having complete faith that he will fill us up with more than what we gave up for him.

What things, people, relationships, habits in life am I holding on to?  What prevents me from detaching myself to these things and surrender completely to God? What is my attitude towards giving? Do I expect to receive first before I give, not wanting to become empty and lose what I have? Or am I willing to trust in God and give to be able to receive his blessings?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to learn about you, another day to experience you, another day to make your love alive in this world. Lord, I thank you for your generosity. Thank you, because no matter how I try, you simple cannot be outgiven. You refuse to let me beat you in being generous! Lord, I ask that you give  me a cheerful and generous heart. May I always be sensitive to others and do whatever I can to give of my time, talent and treasure for you.  May I always be willing to give. Help me empty myself out, detach myself with anything of this world, and surrender to you. I know that only when I am empty can you fill me with your infinite blessings. And as I receive these blessings, may I always want to share it with others. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...