Friday, November 2, 2012

Of Living and Dying


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/110212.cfm) reminds me that life on earth is not the end of everything.
The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye. This is a title of one of the famous songs of the earlier days. Goodbyes are painful, especially with people close to you. It is more painful when it is permanent, in the sense of the world. We Filipinos can very well relate to this, that is why some people are very careful about letting people in to their lives, because not only will it hurt so much when people betray that trust and love, but more so if the person close to you dies.
As we commemorate the faithful departed today, Jesus tells us that death is not the end of life. When God comes again, all who have gone ahead will rise again and we will be judged accordingly. This should not only be a source of hope for us, that our loved ones who have gone ahead will be alive again, but also a warning, that eventually, everyone will be judged.
There are a lot of possible readings for today’s liturgy, and they tell different things we should take note of. God heals and has the power to raise us up as he did Lazarus and the woman’s son. We are also reminded of how we should live, by following the beatitudes and by remembering that when we are judged, Jesus will remind us that whatever we do to the least of our brothers, we do unto him. This life on earth, however focused we may be, is very temporary. We should not spend all our effort and energy in this life, but live our lives on earth as preparation for our life with God in eternity.
Am I living my life on earth in preparation for eternity?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for this holiday you gave me to rest and to remember my dearly departed. Thank you for reminding me that life on earth is temporary. Lord, help me not to be so attached to anything or anyone on earth, for I know that anytime, you can call me. Anytime, you can call the person I am close to. Anytime, you can take away anything or anyone from me. I ask that I always be reminded that life here on earth should be my preparation for my life with you. Help me live my life as such. Amen.
Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...