Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Blind Man’s Clear and Unwavering Faith


The WORD today(see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102812.cfm)  inspires me to have a clear and unwavering faith, like Bartimaeus.
Hebrews 11:1 defines is as: “Faith is the substance of the things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.” The blind man, Bartimaeus, clearly lived this faith.
Being a blind person, he begged by the roadside. Probably he was really desperate, but definitely not hopeless. When he heard the Jesus passed by, he gave all he got and shouted to get Jesus’ attention. When asked by the people to shut up, he did not lose hope, his spirit was not dampened, instead, shouted louder. Makulit sya.
When he was called by people, not even Jesus, he showed even greater faith. Even if Jesus was not the one personally called him, he knew that being summoned by Jesus would forever change his life. What did he do? From sitting by the roadside, he threw his cloak and sprang up to Jesus. Wow, what great faith! During those times, beggars lived in the streets. Probably his cloak was his most important possession – not because it was expensive or beautiful, but because it helped him a lot. It protected him from the weather, from the heat of the sun or the coldness of the wind, his cloak was a big help. His action throwing away his cloak and running to Jesus was like saying “Goodbye cloak, I won’t be needing you anymore! This Jesus will cure me, and I won’t be blind anymore!” He had full faith in the power of Jesus, and he was not disappointed. Indeed, no one leaves the presence of Jesus unchanged.
How about us? How do we react when we don’t seem to get what we want in the first try? Do we get angry or lose hope, or are we like the blind man whose faith was unwavering? What do I pray for right now? Do I have faith that God can grant me that? Do I have faith that he wants to, if it is according to His plan for me?  Am I willing to take a leap of faith? When God gives me what I pray for, do I remember to thank Him and live my life following Him?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me that you do not disappoint. Thank you for reminding me how powerful and loving you are. Lord, help me improve my faith. May I have faith like Bartimaeus. When faced with challenges or when I don’t get what I pray for, may my faith get stronger and still do my part. May I be brave enough to take a leap of faith, knowing you are there to guide and catch me. And Lord, when you give me what I pray for, may I never forget to thank you and live my life following you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...