Saturday, October 20, 2012

Holy Spirit Talking


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102012.cfm) reminds me that we should work to have a close relationship with God, and s strong faith, that will let the Holy Spirit talk through us.

In sports, there are preparations far beyond the game people see. There are months, even years, of hard practice, conditioning, setting plays – both offense and defense. People also anticipate what the opponent will and may do. They not only strengthen themselves, but also study and prepare for the opponents as well. This is true for other fields as well. For example, lawyers prepare hard for a case. They study the facts, prepare both for “Defense” and “offense”, anticipate what the opponent’s possible arguments may be. Indeed, in sports or not, there are a lot of hardwork before the actual “game” or “event.”

In the gospel, Jesus is telling us that we should not worry when faced with persecutions. Is he telling us the opposite, that we just need to relax and come there with just faith? Of course not! He does not want us to focus on preparing for these things, because in doing so, we may have the tendency to rely on our own strength and knowledge in defending the faith, or in doing His work. We may become overconfident and forget him. When God tells us to trust in Him, it does not mean we will come there empty handed. We need to come armed with a good relationship with God. Thus, we should work not just for our defense, but consistently work to have a good relationship with God. We need to live our lives seeking Him, building our relationship and faith in Him. Only then will we be confident to face anything, only then will the Holy Spirit be able to speak through us. How can he speak when we don’t even know his voice, right?

When faced with a seemingly big task, how do I prepare? Do I give my best, exerting every effort I can, to prepare? Do I give time to prepare spiritually as well? Do I consistently work on building my relationship with God? Do I pray for faith?

Father God,
Thank you for your WORD that again assures me that you are in control, that you will take care of us. Lord, help me to always strike a balance, to prepare and do my best, but at the same time, give you more importance. I know human efforts are not enough, but at the same time, faith on you while doing nothing on my own is not enough as well. Help me remember that you Lord help those who help themselves. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...