Sunday, October 14, 2012

Detachment


Today’s WORD (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101412.cfm) reminds me how necessary it is for us to be detached from anything and everything of this world.

In the gospel, Jesus knew what would be difficult for the man to do. He knows that the man has been following the commandments, which is very admirable. However, Jesus knows what is hard for each and everyone of us, he knows what is necessary for the man to enter the kingdom of God. That is why he asked the man to give up everything. He wants the man to enter the kingdom of God, and he wants him to be free from what hinders him from doing so. He wants the man to let go of all material detachments in life.

We are merely passers-by in this world, and we should always remember that. We came to this earth with nothing, and we will leave this world taking nothing with us. This is why we should be detached from everything of the world. Being detached will enable us to focus on God and do whatever he wants us to – things that will prepare us to spend eternity with Jesus.

It also says that “Jesus looked at him with love.” Yes, even if the person has attachments, Jesus still loves him. Nothing we do can ever make God love us yes. When we sin, we hurt him, but his love never changes and is new every morning. We should always remember this, especially when we ourselves can’t seem to love ourselves. Also, we should be inspired by Jesus to love others, especially the unlovable, and do  things out of love. We may have the desire to correct or help a person, but if things are done without love, we may end up hurting the person more instead of helping.

What am I holding on to in this world? What things do I cherish? What would be my reaction of God asks me to give away all my possessions and serve Him? Do I feel that God loves me, even if I myself can’t even love me? Do I do things out of love for God through other people?

Father God,
Thank you for your WORD. Thank you for reminding me that you know me from the inside out, that you know what is important for me, what things I am attached to. Lord, help me be detached. Help me let go of everything – material possessions, human approval and acceptance, earthly power and fame, human knowledge, and anything that will keep me from following you. Help me remember that naked I came into this world, and naked I will depart. Help me also to remember to see myself the way you see me – loveable and worthy of your love, of your life. May I remember how precious I am, especially when the world tells otherwise. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...