Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Freedom!


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101612.cfm) reminds us what we are already free from the slavery of sin and everything related to it.


Jesus already set us free from slavery of sin. A slave has no choice but to obey his master. A slave, even if he does not like what is asked for him, just obeys. This is what sin did to us. As slaves of sin, we had no choice but to commit sin – even if we did not want to. However, Christ’s death and resurrection made us free from the slavery and bondage of sin! We are not free from temptation, but we are free to choose – whether to follow God or fall for the enemy’s deceit. Every temptation is an opportunity for us to become a sinner or a saint, and we have the freedom to choose.

The law itself is not bad. However, we should not be slaves of the law. Jesus says that he did not come to abolish the law, but rather, to give it its proper value, proper implementation. Following the law does not necessarily make us good. We as see in last Sunday’s gospel (See http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/10/detachment.html) , the man followed all the law. But that is not enough. Jesus asked for more, because he sees our hearts. We are reminded that we are free from the strict sense of the law. This does not mean we are exempted from following the law. On the other hand, we are enlightened and are past beyond the level of just following the law, from knowing the essence of the law.

Am I properly using my freedom God has given me? Do I act as if I am still a slave of Sin? When faced with temptations, what path do I choose – a sinner or a saint?

Father God,
Thank you for your intense love that brought me out of the slavery of sin. I thank you for the graces you have bestowed upon me. Lord, you know that I love you and I want to follow you. I ask that you help me live a life consistent to that. May I always work hard and do my part to live a life pleasing to you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...