Sunday, October 7, 2012

Man and Woman


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/100712.cfm) reminds me how God designed and willed that man and woman be together through the sacrament of Matrimony.
In the first reading, we see that God created woman from the man, and emphasized that in marriage, they shall leave their family and live together as one couple. Jesus repeats this in the gospel
But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female.
For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother
and be joined to his wife,
and the two shall become one flesh.
So they are no longer two but one flesh.
Therefore what God has joined together,
no human being must separate.
We see the importance God gives to Marriage. We see God’s design for us.
Not everyone is called for married life, but those called to it are ordered to obey God’s command.  It probably is easier said than done, but those called in this state of life must remain faithful to their promise before God and must keep God’s command.
Nowadays, there are a lot of threats for fulfilling this command to married couples. There are a lot of excuses for not keeping the promise they made before God. That is why, it is important for us to remain faithful and pray. Jesus said in the gospel that it is important to be like children – following and trusting in God, despite of everything. We should pray to have a childlike attitude of faith, totally relying in God no matter what situation we may be in.
What is my perspective towards marriage? Do I still see it as an important sacrament? Do i keep my marriage vows no matter what? Do I prepare myself before getting married or do I rush myself into it for the wrong reasons, only to find out how challenging staying faithful is? Do I trust in God when faced with life’s challenges?

Father God,
Thank you for creating me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for designing a partner for me. Lord, I know that not all are called into married life, but all are called to serve you no matter what state of life we are in. Lord, may we remain faithful to you as we live our lives in service of you. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...