Wednesday, October 3, 2012

When God Seems Distant




The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/100312.cfm) reminds me to check my feelings and emotions towards God.

The psalm and gospel shows us what we feel sometimes, or most of the time. God seems so far away. God seems not to hear our call, our prayers. We feel God is not listening, or we are unimportant. The first reading shows us how we should react to this.

In the first reading, we see Job’s attitude towards God. Yes, he is experiencing hardships and trials, he has questions on his mind, but he still has great respect for God.  He knows that even if he has arguments or he does not agree with what is happening or with God, he still is God’s servant and he knows where he stands with God.

Sometimes, we have this sense of entitlement in our lives. We feel we are entitled to God’s blessings. We feel we are entitled to his goodness. We feel we deserve what we have. Sometimes, people feel God is obligated to answer their prayers. Sometimes people think God should give them what they pray for because other people have it as well. Sometimes people think that by doing good, we earn God’s favour and blessings. We should not have this sense of entitlement to God’s blessings, and be like job who knows where he stands before God, thanking and respecting Him even in difficult situations.

When do I feel that God is far from me? When do I feel God is turning his face away from me? What do I do or how do I react when I feel this? Do I have a sense of entitlement to God’s blessings, or am I grateful for whatever God is giving me?

Father God,
Thank you for loving me. Thank you for sending me people who are manifestations of your love for me. Lord, I ask that you help me always be faithful to you. May I always remember how blessed I am and not feel entitled to whatever goodness and blessings you bestow on me. May I always love you no matter what the situation may be. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...