Monday, October 22, 2012

Greed


Today’s WORD (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102212.cfm) reminds me how dangerous the sin of greed is.

Greed Is one of seven deadly or capital sins. They are called such because it leads one to commit other sins as well. Greed for money can lead someone to commit sin just to get more money – steal, cheat, etc. God is reminding us today to not focus on material wealth, because anytime, God can take us or take away the wealth we have worked hard for.

Money in itself it not necessarily evil. You need money to survive. You need money to help others. However, love of money is. That is why we have heard Jesus telling us that it is so difficult for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Not because they are rich, but because they love their money too much. People think that money will make things better, that it will make us happier. Probably for those who don’t have the basics – food, water and shelter. Having money can give them these things, and will make their lives better. But aside from these basic things, money does not necessarily make people happy. Actually sometimes it stresses people out! Rich people, as seen in the gospel, work harder to earn more money. They buy or build structures, people or mechanisms to protect their money. They do bad things to get more money. It’s a never ending cycle, and before they know it, God is calling them already.

What is my attitude towards money? Am I detached to it, only using it for what is was intended to, or do I work so hard to get a lot of it? Do I realize that genuine blessings can only come to me if I share what I have to others? Do I always compare myself with others and end up envying them and wanting more money? What prevents me from letting go of my blessings so it can bless others?

Father God,
Thank you for the weekend. Lord, thank you for again making your presence more alive in my life. Help me Lord to express my gratefulness by blessing others. May I always be detached from money and other material things. Always remind me that nothing in this world is permanent, and that I should always have my focus on you. Lord, I know you are continuously blessing me, and I ask that you help me be appreciative of those blessings. May I never compare my life and my blessings to other people and end up envying them. Give me a generous heart, Lord, and make me realize that as a hand catching running water, your blessings are infinite and I cannot hold on to them, and that the only way I can receive more blessings is to open my hands and let go of what I currently have, so you can continue to fill me with greater blessings. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...