Saturday, October 27, 2012

Second Chances


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102712.cfm) reminds us that God is a God of second chances
Life does not always give us second chances. Some people pass away the first time they suffer a stroke, some are brought to the hospital the first time they met an accident, while some are brought to jail the first time they broke the law. However, Jesus is very different. We see him as a God of second chances. He gave a lot of people second chances – from giving Mary Magdalene a second chance to live a life pleasing to God, to giving Lazarus a second chance at life in itself when he raised him from the dead. God is very generous, and very loving.
We can see that God wants order. In the first reading he gave us instructions on how we could live our lives, how we could structure the community both for order and for growth. It is then natural in the gospel that we see him following the order – harvesting the fruits after planting and taking care of the tree. We then understand the disappointment when no fruit is available.
Jesus shows how loving and generous he is. He gives us second chances to live lives pleasing to God. He gives us warnings that we should listen to. He gives us people and events that asks us to live lives pleasing to God. He never stops giving us chances, and it is up to us how we would respond to those opportunities – if we will make the most out of it or take it for granted. However we respond, we should remember that even if God is a God of second chances, time will come when we will ultimately have to face him and give an accounting of how we live our lives on earth.
Do I see and recognize God’s ways of calling my attention? Do I know that God is a God of second chances? How is he reaching out to me and giving me second chances? Do I make the most out of those opportunities or do I take them for granted, thinking that there will be another chance coming anyway?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day, another chance to live a life pleasing to you, another chance to right a wrong, to mend a broken relationship, to live a life pleasing to you. Lord, help me make the most out of this day. Help me live my life in a way pleasing to you.  May I never take for granted these opportunities you tirelessly give me, because I know that one day, I will not have a second chance and will have to face God and give him the fruits he is looking for.
Stay blessed!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...