Sunday, October 21, 2012

Serviam!


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102112.cfm) reminds us that we should serve God.

Serviamis Latin for “I will serve.” This was St Michael the Archangel’s response to God. On the other hand, Non Serviam was Lucifer’s response to God.

Jesus, the Son of God, the King of kings, did not come to this world to be served. He did not come as a mighty ruler lording over us. He did not even come into this world in a nice place, not on a hospital or inn. He did not live in mansions or palaces. Jesus came as a helpless child, born in a stable, lived in a simple town as a carpenter’s son, proclaimed God’s kingdom, healed people died for us, and eventually rose from the dead. If that’s not service, I don’t know what is!

As children, as followers of Christ, we are asked to serve Him as well. Serving God starts with a decision – a decision to serve God, a decision to say Yes to Him. St Michael’s “serviam” is a testimony of that decision to serve God. Mary’s “Fiat” was her “yes” to God. We may not be perfect, we may have concerns, weaknesses and issues, but we are all called to serve God. Only when we give our own yes to God can he use us mightily. Great servants in the bible all had concerns, but their yes to God was all God needed to use them and work through them, only then could they do great things for and through God.

Do I live my life in service of God? Do I want to serve God, or do I want God to serve me and give me what I want? Do I serve other people, knowing that God is alive and present in each one of us, or do I expect other people to serve me? Do I wait until things are perfect, until I don’t have major concerns, before I serve God and others?

Father God,
Thank you for loving me. Thank you for seeing me in me what I sometimes, or most of the times, don’t see. Thank you Lord for deeming me worthy of your love, your everlasting and unconditional love. Thank you for loving and serving me even if I don’t deserve it, even if I hurt you when I sin. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart of service. Give me a heart that would desire to love and serve you. Give me a heart that would be willing to go out of my comfort zone to serve you. Lord, I give you my Yes, my serviam, my fiat, and I ask that you guide me and be with me all throughout. Lord, life is not easy, I too have problems and concerns of my own, but I just lift up everything to you. Give me a heart to be a wounded servant, continuously serving and loving you no matter what. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...