Thursday, October 25, 2012

Break the Ground


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102512.cfm) reminds me how important it is to have a strong foundation.

Nowadays, there are a lot of modern and sophisticated building designs. They differ in material, design and functionality. However, all of these have something in common – a foundation. One of the first “ceremony” in constructing a building is the ground-breaking. It signifies that a structure will be constructed in the place. It signifies that the ground will be broken for the foundation of the structure. No matter how sophisticated the building is, it has its foundation beneath the surface, somewhere where the eyes cannot see. And the higher the structure is, the deeper and stronger its foundation should be.

In the reading, we are reminded how important the foundation is. In the first reading, we see that it is important to be rooted and grounded in God’s love. This will help us understand and comprehend the greatness of God’s love for us. It is also important to be deeply rooted in God’s love for us to achieve greatness in God’s eyes. His power, which will enable us to accomplish great things for Him, will only be at work in us if we are rooted in love, if we surrender ourselves and allow him to fill us with everything that is of Him.

In the gospel, we see Jesus being anguish. It reminds us that He is really human. We could just imagine how he was feeling – knowing how hard and lonely the path that awaits him. It was not easy, but being grounded in God’s love and surrendering himself fully to God enabled him to accomplish the great task at hand. His firm foundation on God enabled him to remain faithful to the task, despite of the challenges and temptations that came his way.

We are asked to also have our foundation firmly planted on God. We need to break the ground and go deeper – deeper in love with him, deeper in knowledge of Him, deeper in relationship with him. Prayer, the sacraments, and the church, including our fellow Christians, are available to help us go deeper in our foundation. Only then will we accomplish great tasks, not from our own abilities, but only by God’s greatness and power, for God’s glory. The deeper our foundation is, the more of Christ we have, the mightier and higher we will be used by God.

Do I give importance to foundations, even if these are things that the eyes cannot see, or do I give more importance to the things I can see with my eyes? Do I have a strong foundation? Am I doing what I can to build and strengthen my foundation in God? How else can I improve my foundation with Him? What prevents me from building a stronger and deeper foundation with God? What prevents me from fully surrendering myself to God and allow him to use me?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for the early and long weekend awaiting me. Lord, you really know how to take care of me. Lord, help me do my part in thanking you as you take care of me. Help me do my part in building and strengthening my foundation in you. May I have the desire to break the ground, go deeper and build a stronger foundation and relationship with you. I know Lord that I need to fully surrender myself so you can fill me up and use me for your work. Only then will you be able to use me for you work. I am excited for the great plans you have for me. I am excited to be used mightily by you, to do your work for your glory. I ask that you help me start to take baby steps towards building that foundation now. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

1 comment:

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...