Friday, November 3, 2017

Wrong Focus


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/110317.cfm) reminds me how dangerous it is to focus on the wrong things. 

It is always fun to watch magicians in parties and events. When I was a kid, I really believed that they had powers and could really do those things - make something or someone appear or disappear, read minds, guess cards, etc. however, we know that these are illusions people do. They work hard. They practice hard to be well in their craft. And we know that the primary thing they need is to divert the attention of the audience. They need to make a distraction and make the audience focus on something while they are doing the illusions. 

In the gospel, Jesus warns us of this diversion or wrong focus. The people were focused on him, on finding something wrong with him and what he does. They are too fixated on him that they miss the bigger and more important thing - healing and God's love. They focused on what they want and were not open to what God wanted for them. This is the reason why they did not answer. This us the reason why they missed the opportunity to learn about God, to know God more, to experience and see God's power and love. 

If you focus on the wrong thing, you just might miss God in front of you. 

There are times we are too busy in life. Work responsibilities. Family obligations. Social commitments. Career growth. Health issues. These are some of the things that keep us busy. Very busy. There is a danger that if we are too focused on these things, we will miss out on the more important things - knowing God, experiencing him, sharing him with others, and building a personal relationship with him. We might just miss out on the important things, on things that will make us closer to God and prepare us for eternity. We just might miss out God calling to us and reaching out to us. 

May we never focus on the wrong things in life, and be sensitive enough to God's reminders in our life. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Thank you for coming down to my level to make it easier for me to see you, to understand you, and to relate to you. Thank you for thinking of me. Lord, sorry for the times I ignore you. Sorry for the times I focus on the wrong things. Sorry for the times I am too busy with things in life that I forget you. Wake me up. Be patient with me and do not give up on me. May I be sensitive to you and realize the important things in life. Amen. 

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


November 3, 2017
Friday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 483



Reading 1ROM 9:1-5


Brothers and sisters:
I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie;
my conscience joins with the Holy Spirit in bearing me witness
that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart. 
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ
for the sake of my own people,
my kindred according to the flesh. 
They are children of Israel;
theirs the adoption, the glory, the covenants,
the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises;
theirs the patriarchs, and from them,
according to the flesh, is the Christ,
who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.


Responsorial PsalmPS 147:12-13, 14-15, 19-20


R. Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.
Glorify the LORD, O Jerusalem;
praise your God, O Zion.
For he has strengthened the bars of your gates;
he has blessed your children within you.
R. Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.
He has granted peace in your borders;
with the best of wheat he fills you.
He sends forth his command to the earth;
swiftly runs his word!
R. Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.
He has proclaimed his word to Jacob,
his statutes and his ordinances to Israel.
He has not done thus for any other nation;
his ordinances he has not made known to them. Alleluia.
R. Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.


AlleluiaJN 10:27


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord;
I know them, and they follow me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 14:1-6


On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees,
and the people there were observing him carefully.
In front of him there was a man suffering from dropsy.
Jesus spoke to the scholars of the law and Pharisees in reply, asking,
"Is it lawful to cure on the sabbath or not?"
But they kept silent; so he took the man and,
after he had healed him, dismissed him.
Then he said to them 
"Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern,
would not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?" 
But they were unable to answer his question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...