Friday, November 20, 2020

Against God


The WORD today reminds me that no one can go against God. 

I believe that everything that happens in this world is because of God, or if not directly because of him, happened with God’s permission. I am reminded of Job, the faithful servant who experienced probably every bad thing that can happen to a person. He was a loving servant, and he had blessings. However, everything was taken away from him except his life. When the devil wanted to try Job, he had to ask God’s permission to inflict pain and suffering. God agreed, knowing that Job is faithful – he just told the devil that he can do anything except to take Job’s life. 

No one can fight God. No one can go against his plans and his timing.

In the gospel, we see again an account of Jesus driving away people in the temple. Of course, this insulted the religious authorities at that time – the Chief Priests, Scribes and Pharisees. They were insulted and challenged that they wanted to put Jesus to death. However, they could not do it because it was not yet God’s time for it. It was not yet in God’s plans to put Jesus to death. No matter how powerful they may be, they cannot go against God. This should remind us to have faith and trust in God, for other peopleno matter how powerful they may be in this world, cannot stop God’s plans for you.

Sometimes we get intimidated with worldly power. Sometimes we get frustrated on how people in power act and use their power. A lot of times, it is unfair. People in power and authority do not always use their position in the proper way. We see a lot of abuse. And of negligence.  And sometimes, we think that these people in power can hinder God from fulfilling his purpose and plans for us. Sometimes we feel that powerful people are the ones stopping our promotion, our career growth, or our plans for God’s kingdom.  They may have worldly power over these things, but we should remember that they do not have power over GodThey can only do what God allows them to doThey can only influence things in the level approved and allowed by God. They cannot stop God’s plans from being fulfilled in our lives.

No matter what our concerns are with people with worldly power, be it in the government and how they respond to problems, to corporate power who has influence on career growth, or people in this world who has power over business or other things - we are reminded that they are not more powerful than God. God is still God. We should always remember that God and his plans will always come into fruition, so we should continue to trust in God. And while we wait for his plans to be fulfilled, we should continue to love and serve him and do what we can for him in this world. 

What are my concerns and fears in life? Am I afraid that people in this world are more powerful than God? Do I fear the power of other people? What is God telling me today? 

May we be comforted by the fact that no one, no matter how powerful and influential they may be, can stop God’s plans from being fulfilled.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I get stressed with things of this world. Sorry for the times I get intimidated by people in power and authority. Sorry for the times I think that they are stopping your great plans from being fulfilled in my life. Sorry for forgetting that no one is more powerful than you. Help me to always be reminded of this. Nothing will happen without your permission, so I will continue to focus on you, continue to love you and continue to serve you for I have faith that in your perfect time, your great plans will come true in my life. Amen.

Blessed Day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


November 20, 2020
Friday of Week 33; St. Edmund 
FIRST READING
I, John, heard a voice from heaven speak to me. Then the voice spoke to me and said: “Go, take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.” So I went up to the angel and told him to give me the small scroll. He said to me, “Take and swallow it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will taste as sweet as honey.” I took the small scroll from the angel’s hand and swallowed it. In my mouth it was like sweet honey, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour. Then someone said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings.”
RESPONSORIAL PSALM
R. (103a) How sweet to my taste is your promise!

In the way of your decrees I rejoice, as much as in all riches.

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

Yes, your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors.

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

The law of your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

How sweet to my palate are your promises, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

Your decrees are my inheritance forever; the joy of my heart they are.

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

I gasp with open mouth 
in my yearning for your commands.

R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
ALLELUIA
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
GOSPEL
Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things, saying to them, “It is written, My house shall be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves.” And every day he was teaching in the temple area. The chief priests, the scribes, and the leaders of the people, meanwhile, were seeking to put him to death, but they could find no way to accomplish their purpose because all the people were hanging on his words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...