Sunday, March 4, 2012

Who can stand against?


Today’s second reading tells us a very inspiring and encouraging fact. If God is for us. Who can be against us? It is a simple verse, a simple question, but a very powerful one. Who can stand against us if God is on our side?

The first reading shows God testing Abraham’s faith. What is faith? There are various definitions of faith. The bible tells us one - Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence* of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1 http://www.usccb.org/bible/hebrews/11) Abraham believed in God, had faith in him, even if seemingly, God is asking too much, or what God is asking does not make sense. How can he have many descendants if God is asking him to sacrifice his one and only son? After waiting for a very long time, and after being given a son, kukunin ni God? Labo naman. But he had faith in God and his plans, kahit di nya nakikita, kahit parang Malabo. He knew that God is with him, and nothing, not even death, can stand against God and his perfect plan. God can make a way.

The gospel shows how powerful God is. The disciples got a glimpse of Jesus’ power. His clothes became dazzling white and Moses and Elijah appeared. Moses representing the old testament, and Elijah representing the prophets – show that Jesus is the fulfillment of the old testament and the one being proclaimed by the prophets. Then God said: This is my beloved son, listen to him” We see the barriers of life and death being broken, and the power and love of God through Jesus, being made real for us. Who can stand against that?

What challenges am I facing right now? How am I handling these things? Do I have faith in God, or do I take things on my own? Do I always ask for a sign, or do I  have faith in God’s love and power even if I do not see it? Do I honestly believe that nothing can stand against God, and as I do his work, do I honestly have faith that nothing can stand against?

May we strive to have that faith, trusting in God and his plans fully, as we strive to please and serve him. The God who loves us so much, is very powerful. Nothing can stand against Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...