Monday, March 12, 2012

Just do it



The gospel today shows us Jesus telling the people that no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Unfortunately, this is usually true. In another verse, it was stated that Jesus could not do miracles because of the lack of faith of the people in his own town. Tayo rin minsan ganun. When we hear of good things being accomplished by someone we know, we think na sya ba talaga gumawa nun? San sya kumuha ng talino para dun? Kilala ko yan dati pa e, parang di gagawa ng mabuti. Jesus gave examples on this, and one of which was Naaman, a Syrian who was healed by Elisha the Israelite.

Naaman’s story was told in the first reading today. He was a great commander but was a leper. Then he was told to go to Israel to be healed. He eventually found his was to Elisha, the prophet. However, he did not get what he expected. He was thinking that Elisha would heal him immediately by casting his hand upon Naaman. However, Elisha told him to go to the river and wash himself seven times. He almost did not do it, because it was not what he was expecting. Good thing he listened to people who told him to do it, and he was healed when he obeyed.

Jesus reminds us to trust in Him, no matter what. Like Nike’s tag, just do it. Don’t ask questions. Just obey God even if what he says seem ridiculous, complicated or simple. Just obey even if what he’s asking you to do is not something you expect. Obey. As always, Jesus wants us to do something, hindi lang puro sya. In the gospel, hindi lang si Elisha yung dapat may gagawin. He expects Naaman to do his part and act. The act of washing in the river did not cleanse him. it was his faith in God’s word that saved him. We need to be reminded of that – it’s not the act alone, but our faith to act.

What do I do when God asks me to do something, do I obey or do I analyse everything? How do I react when God does not answer me the way I expect him to? How do I plan to strengthen my faith?

Prayer:
Father God, thank you for reminding me of the importance of faith. I’m sorry for not having faith in you, or for doubting you at times. I ask that you continue to help me strengthen my faith, and put it in my heart to want to build and strengthen my faith, knowing that I would be able to serve you better with a strong faith. As I pray, may I have faith that you’ll give me whatever I ask, if it is in accordance to your perfect will. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...