Thursday, February 23, 2012

It ain't easy

The gospel today reminds us that it is not easy to follow Christ. He himself experienced hardships, so as followers, we are to be subjected to these things as well. However, we are encouraged to keep the faith and focus on Him.
Jesus asks all who follow him to do so daily. Not once a week, not once a month, not just when we feel like it. "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” He further goes on to say that “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?"
Jesus is not of the world. His ways are not the ways of the world. What is important to him is not what is important to this world. That’s why Jesus says that whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, because if we give more importance to the here and now, to the things and concerns in this world, to the life in this world, we will end up losing eternal life because we don’t focus on it, we don’t give importance to it. Everything in this world is temporary – money is easily used, power can be lost in a single election, fame can be lost in an instant, trophies and recognition are easily forgotten. What remains is what is not in this world. Eternal life. This is forever, and this is what Jesus asks us to focus on, to work on.
When life is not easy, when things does not seem to go our way, when we feel persecuted for following Christ, may we remember the psalmist “Blessed are they who hope in the Lord” and remember Jesus words in the gospel.
What do I prioritize in life? Do I give more importance to the things of this world? Do I strive to follow God daily, or do I just do it when I’m in the mood? Do I pray that God guide me all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...