Saturday, June 9, 2018

Immaculate Heart of Mary


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/060918.cfm) reminds me that I should strive to have a heart like Mary. 


Yesterday, we see and remember how much God loves us. We celebrated the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The heart that loves us. The heart that saves us. The heart that continues to love us despite our sins, despite us always hurting God. Today, we see an example of how we should love him back, through a human being in Mama Mary. 


The Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary should inspire us. Mary was conceived without original sin. Immaculate conception. She was spared from original sin, and was spared from sin her entire life. God’s blessings, protection and graces were really strong in her. Thus, the angel’s greeting of Mary, full of grace is literally true. And it is believed that her state is because of her heart. Her heart was pure. Her heart was burning for God and for Jesus. Her Immaculate Heart wants to love and serve God, and wants to bring souls to Him. 


We see a glimpse of Mary’s heart in the gospel. 


Even if she did not understand what Jesus meant, she still followed God. She still loved Him and served Him. Probably she did not get the answer she was expecting, but she was not proud and complaining. We did not see her complain and say “You sent the angel and asked me to be Jesus’ mother, now I do not understand what he is saying?!” Instead, we see Mary as a humble and obedient servant, keeping things in her heart when she did not understand. Mary continued to care for and love Jesus. Mary continued to be there supporting him, in whatever he was doing, until his death on the cross. That is how much Mary loved Jesus. That is how we should love him as well. 


How do we react when we do not understand God’s plans? Do we humbly accept his plan, having faith that his plan is the best, or do we complain and insist he conform to what we want? When we do not get what we pray for or what we ask, how do we react? Are we angry at God, or do we keep the faith, continuously serving him despite of everything? Do I feel God’s love in my life? How do I respond and give it back to him? to others? How can I love God like Mama Mary did?


May we find in Mama Mary an example of how to love God back, and be inspired to love him the way she did. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend. Lord, thank you for loving me. Thank you for always going down to my level and reaching out to me. Sorry for the times I ignore you. Sorry for the times I do not show my love for you. Sorry for choosing to love myself more than I love you. Sorry for sinning and for hurting you. Lord, I ask that you help me love you like Mama Mary. Make my heart similar to hers. You know I love you. Help me show it. Help me live it. May I always surrender to your will and may I always be a humble servant loving you… always. Amen.


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-



June 9, 2018

Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Lectionary: 358/573


Reading 1 2 TM 4:1-8

Beloved:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus,
who will judge the living and the dead,
and by his appearing and his kingly power:
proclaim the word;
be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient;
convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.
For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine
but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity,
will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth
and will be diverted to myths.
But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances;
put up with hardship;
perform the work of an evangelist;
fulfill your ministry.

For I am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have competed well;
I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.
From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me,
which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day, and not only to me,
but to all who have longed for his appearance.


Responsorial Psalm PS 71:8-9, 14-15AB, 16-17, 22

R. (see 15ab) I will sing of your salvation.
My mouth shall be filled with your praise,
with your glory day by day.
Cast me not off in my old age;
as my strength fails, forsake me not.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
But I will always hope
and praise you ever more and more.
My mouth shall declare your justice,
day by day your salvation.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
I will treat of the mighty works of the Lord;
O GOD, I will tell of your singular justice.
O God, you have taught me from my youth,
and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
So will I give you thanks with music on the lyre,
for your faithfulness, O my God!
I will sing your praises with the harp,
O Holy One of Israel!
R. I will sing of your salvation.


Alleluia SEE LK 2:19

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed is the Virgin Mary who kept the word of God
and pondered it in her heart.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 2:41-51

Each year Jesus' parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover,
and when he was twelve years old,
they went up according to festival custom.
After they had completed its days, as they were returning,
the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem,
but his parents did not know it.
Thinking that he was in the caravan,
they journeyed for a day
and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances,
but not finding him,
they returned to Jerusalem to look for him.
After three days they found him in the temple,
sitting in the midst of the teachers,
listening to them and asking them questions,
and all who heard him were astounded
at his understanding and his answers.
When his parents saw him,
they were astonished,
and his mother said to him,
"Son, why have you done this to us?
Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety."
And he said to them,
"Why were you looking for me?
Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"
But they did not understand what he said to them.
He went down with them and came to Nazareth,
and was obedient to them;
and his mother kept all these things in her heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...