Saturday, June 16, 2018

Integrity


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/061618.cfm) reminds me that I should have integrity and honor God with my words. 


They say to have integrity is to say what you mean, and mean what you say. This is what God wants from us. 


God honors his word. 


In the first reading, we see the fulfillment of God’s word yesterday. Yesterday, He told Elijah that Elisha will be the one to succeed him as a prophet. Today, we see how Elisha followed Elijah to be his attendant. Elijah did not even call him or told him God’s word. He just went. This reminds us of God’s integrity with his words. 


In the gospel, Jesus told his disciples not just to take false oaths, but not to swear at all. He wants them to have integrity with their words. Yes should mean yes. No should mean no. No need to swear by God’s name. Integrity in what they say and in what they do. 


God wants us to honor our word. To be true to our word. Talk is cheap so he wants us to back it up with actions. He wants our words to be consistent with our actions - in our worldly life and our spiritual life. 

When we give our word, when we say something, God wants us to mean it, to do our best to keep it, to honor it, and to stick to it. In worldly life this is important, but more so in spiritual life. When we say we love God and we want to follow him, we should be ready to live it. God expects us to live it - that we be willing to die of ourselves and our selfish desires, and allow God to live through us. 


We honor God through our words. When we do what we say, and say what we do, we are witnessing for God. Our honesty and integrity would remind people how honest and straight God is. Our being faithful to what we say reminds people that God is faithful. Everything, no matter how simple it may be, if done for God, glorifies and honors God.


How do I see integrity? How do I define it? Do I live with integrity and say what I mean and mean what I say? Do I believe God wants me to have this? In what ways has God shown his integrity in his word and in him taking care of me? How can I improve my integrity?


May we always be true to our word and testify God's goodness and greatness. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for another chance to experience your love. Lord i thank you for reminding me how important to you my word is. I am sorry for the times I am not true to my word. sorry for the times I do not keep my word. sorry for the times I tell you I love you, but do not live it. Help me live a life consistent with my words. Help me be true to my word. help me honor you with my words. May the way I honor my word remind people of your love, greatness and honor. In a special way, I lift up to you my parents who are celebrating their wedding anniversary today. Continue to bless them and be with them. May they continue to have integrity with their promise to always be together, with you in the center. Amen. 


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-



June 16, 2018

Saturday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 364


Reading 1 1 KGS 19:19-21

Elijah set out, and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat,
as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen;
he was following the twelfth.
Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him.
Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said,
"Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,
and I will follow you."
Elijah answered, "Go back!
Have I done anything to you?"
Elisha left him and, taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them;
he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh,
and gave it to his people to eat.
Then he left and followed Elijah as his attendant.


Responsorial Psalm PSALM 16:1B-2A AND 5, 7-8, 9-10

R. (see 5a) You are my inheritance, O Lord.
Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, "My Lord are you."
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.
R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.
I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.
Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
Because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.
R. You are my inheritance, O Lord.


Alleluia PS 119:36A, 29B

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Incline my heart, O God, to your decrees;
and favor me with your law.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 5:33-37

Jesus said to his disciples:
"You have heard that it was said to your ancestors,
Do not take a false oath,
but make good to the Lord all that you vow.

But I say to you, do not swear at all;
not by heaven, for it is God's throne;
nor by the earth, for it is his footstool;
nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
Do not swear by your head,
for you cannot make a single hair white or black.
Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,' and your 'No' mean 'No.'
Anything more is from the Evil One."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...