Friday, June 8, 2018

Sacred Heart of Jesus


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/060818.cfm) reminds me of God’s divine love for me. 


Today is the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It reminds me of Christ's intense and divine love for me. 

What comes into mind when one sees an image of a heart?

Some, probably the scientists and physicians, would associate heart with science and remember one of the most important organ in the human body. Well, the heart hand sign nowadays is similar to the actual heart. The finger heart, as others would call it. So a lot would associate it with a heart. 

Well, that is true.


However, I believe most of the people would associate heart with love. Not just the actual heart, but to love. And I believe that is what Jesus, through the readings today, wants to tell us.


In the first reading we see God taking care of us, his flock. He loves us even if we do not love him. He loves us even if we do not recognize him. He does not let his anger get in the way of his love. Nanjan sya kahit hindi natin alam, kahit hindi natin napapansin or pinapansin. His love is unconditional, na kahit hindi mo I acknowledge, kahit hindi ka magpasalamat, hindi sya titigil magmahal. He is willing to die for us. To protect us. To guide us. To save us. And that is exactly what Jesus did for us. 


In the second reading and the gospel, we see the first reading concretized. Hindi na concept yung pagmamahal ni GodHindi na theoretical yung unconditional love nya sa atin. We see that this love is true. While it is easy to love our family, friends and those who love us, pero mahirap mahalin ang kaaway. Mahirap mahalin ang sumasakit sayo. But this is exactly what Christ did. He loved us while we were still sinners. He loved us even if we sin and hurt him. He loved us even if we were the cause of his pain. He did not wait for us to change and love him before loving and saving us. He died for us while we were still sinners. While we were still hurting him. He died to save us. That's how he loved us. That's how he proved his love for us. 

God loves you even if you don't love him. 


He will not force you to love him. His sacred heart will love you no matter what. However, hopefully, as we feel his love, we will be moved to love him as well. Hopefully, as we experience his love and goodness, we will not only be thankful and love him, but love others and make his love more alive. 

Do I know that God really loves me so much? Do I value God’s love for me? IS it enough for God to tell me how special and worthy I am, or do I still look for love and affirmation of other people to make me feel good about myself? How can I love others and make them feel God’s love?


May we always remember how much God loves us, and live to make that love alive in the world. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for your reminder. Thank you for loving me, even if I am unworthy. Lord, I am sorry for sinning and hurting you. Sorry for not loving you enough. Pero Lord salamat, kasi kahit pasaway ako, that does not stop you from loving me. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for loving me even if I hurt you. Thank you for dying for me. Lord, help me value to your love for me and may I find my worth in your love and not in others. May I always remember how divine your love for me is. Today and every day, may I always remember how much you love me, and may I be a vessel of your love to others. Use me to make your love more alive in this world.  Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-



June 8, 2018

Solemnity of Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
Lectionary: 171



Thus says the LORD:
When Israel was a child I loved him,
out of Egypt I called my son.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords,
with bands of love;
I fostered them like one
who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.

My heart is overwhelmed,
my pity is stirred.
I will not give vent to my blazing anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again;
For I am God and not a man,
the Holy One present among you;
I will not let the flames consume you.


Responsorial Psalm IS 12:2-3, 4, 5-6.

R. (3) You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
God indeed is my savior;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage is the LORD,
and he has been my savior.
With joy you will draw water
at the fountain of salvation.
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
Give thanks to the LORD, acclaim his name;
among the nations make known his deeds,
proclaim how exalted is his name.
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
Sing praise to the LORD for his glorious achievement;
let this be known throughout all the earth.
Shout with exultation, O city of Zion,
for great in your midst
is the Holy One of Israel!
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.


Reading 2 EPH 3:8-12, 14-19

Brothers and sisters:
To me, the very least of all the holy ones, this grace was given,
to preach to the Gentiles the inscrutable riches of Christ,
and to bring to light for all what is the plan of the mystery
hidden from ages past in God who created all things,
so that the manifold wisdom of God
might now be made known through the church
to the principalities and authorities in the heavens.
This was according to the eternal purpose
that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,
in whom we have boldness of speech
and confidence of access through faith in him.

For this reason I kneel before the Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
that he may grant you in accord with the riches of his glory
to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self,
and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
that you, rooted and grounded in love,
may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones
what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge,
so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.


Alleluia MT 11:29AB

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Take my yoke upon you, says the Lord;
and learn from me, for I am meek and gentle of heart.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Or



R. Alleluia, alleluia.
God first loved us
and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel JN 19:31-37

Since it was preparation day,
in order that the bodies might not remain on the cross on the sabbath,
for the sabbath day of that week was a solemn one,
the Jews asked Pilate that their legs be broken
and they be taken down.
So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first
and then of the other one who was crucified with Jesus.
But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead,
they did not break his legs,
but one soldier thrust his lance into his side,
and immediately blood and water flowed out.
An eyewitness has testified, and his testimony is true;
he knows that he is speaking the truth,
so that you also may come to believe.
For this happened so that the Scripture passage might be fulfilled:
Not a bone of it will be broken.
And again another passage says:
They will look upon him whom they have pierced

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...