Sunday, June 24, 2018

Wonderfully Made


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/062418-day-mass.cfm) reminds me that God made me wonderful and has great plans for me. 


Cars are generally expensive. And premium cars, especially made abroad, are of course more expensive. I recently saw a documentary on how Rolls Royce are made. Buyers can fully customise their vehicle. A lot of items are manually done to be sure of the quality and precision. This reminds me that just as the value if the vehicle goes up depending on where and how they were made, our value as God's children is high as well. 


The psalmist echoes this thought. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. God made masterpieces, great human beings for a great purpose in life. We should always remember this and not question our value in life. 


Today, we celebrate the nativity of John the Baptist. Yes, he was a relative of Jesus. He did great things to prepare the way for Christ. And we see how wonderfully he was made. His mother Elizabeth conceived at an old age. His father Zechariah testified on how great John will be. In the second reading, we see David as the king. He was simple, but God chose him because of his heart. He was wonderfully made and was so special that God's Son Jesus came from his line. 


You are wonderfully made. And God has a special plan for you. 


We are wonderfully made. No matter what we feel. No matter how other people makes us feel. God created us wonderfully and fearfully. And it does not stop there. He has a special plan for each and everyone of us. However, if it will come to fruition is based not just on God's plan, but on us as well. We need to cooperate with God. We need to surrender to him. Just as David, John and Baptist and Jesus surrendered and cooperated with God in order for his plans to come to fruition. No matter how great God's plans for us are, if we will not cooperate, it will not happen. 


When we cooperate, when we surrender, we give God permission to do his plans. We give him permission to work in us. To work through us. When we obey God, slowly, every single day, we give him access to our hearts. We allow him to use us. To change us. To mold us to be more and more like him. And as we continue to do so, it will be easier for God to use us mightily and make his great plans for us become reality. 


How do I feel about myself? Do I know God made me special? Do I feel special? Or do I let problems or what other people say about me define or affect the way I feel about myself? Do I have faith that God has great plans for me, or do I doubt it because of the circumstances in my life? Do I cooperate with God and allow him to use me mightily? 


May we always remember that God made us wonderfully, and that he has great plans for us. And may we always submit to his will and cooperate with him for the completion of his plans. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for another day to love and serve you. Thank you for another reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I question my worth. Sorry for the times I let others make me feel bad about myself. Sorry for forgetting that you made me wonderfully. Sorry for the times I feel that you do not have great plans for me, and sorry for not cooperating with you. Help me live right. Help me live in a way pleasing to you. Help me live cooperating with you for your plans to come into fruition. Use me for your purpose and your glory. Amen. 


Blessed Sunday!


In Christ,

-g-



June 24, 2018 - Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist - Mass during the Day

Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist - Mass during the Day
Lectionary: 587


Reading 1 IS 49:1-6

Hear me, O coastlands,
listen, O distant peoples.
The LORD called me from birth,
from my mother's womb he gave me my name.
He made of me a sharp-edged sword
and concealed me in the shadow of his arm.
He made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me.
You are my servant, he said to me,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.

Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,
yet my reward is with the LORD,
my recompense is with my God.
For now the LORD has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;
and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD,
and my God is now my strength!
It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel;
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.


Responsorial Psalm PS 139:1B-3, 13-14AB, 14C-15

R. (14) I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.
O LORD, you have probed me, you know me:
you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.
My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
with all my ways you are familiar.
R. I praise you for I am wonderfully made.
Truly you have formed my inmost being;
you knit me in my mother's womb.
I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made;
wonderful are your works.
R. I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.
My soul also you knew full well;
nor was my frame unknown to you
When I was made in secret,
when I was fashioned in the depths of the earth.
R. I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.


Reading 2 ACTS 13:22-26

In those days, Paul said:
"God raised up David as king;
of him God testified,
I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart;
he will carry out my every wish.

From this man's descendants God, according to his promise,
has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus.
John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance
to all the people of Israel;
and as John was completing his course, he would say,
'What do you suppose that I am? I am not he.
Behold, one is coming after me;
I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.'

"My brothers, sons of the family of Abraham,
and those others among you who are God-fearing,
to us this word of salvation has been sent."


Alleluia SEE LK 1:76

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
You, child, will be called prophet of the Most High,
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child
she gave birth to a son.
Her neighbors and relatives heard
that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her,
and they rejoiced with her.
When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child,
they were going to call him Zechariah after his father,
but his mother said in reply,
"No. He will be called John."
But they answered her,
"There is no one among your relatives who has this name."
So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called.
He asked for a tablet and wrote, "John is his name,"
and all were amazed.
Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed,
and he spoke blessing God.
Then fear came upon all their neighbors,
and all these matters were discussed
throughout the hill country of Judea.
All who heard these things took them to heart, saying,
"What, then, will this child be?"
For surely the hand of the Lord was with him.
The child grew and became strong in spirit,
and he was in the desert until the day
of his manifestation to Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...