Thursday, July 12, 2018

Dependent on God


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/071218.cfm) reminds me that I should be dependent on God. 


God wants us to trust him. God wants us to have faith in Him. In various instances, we saw Jesus telling his disciples that God likes the childlike - those who are humble and dependent on God. And the gospel today shows us Jesus asking the disciples to trust God:

Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts;
no sack for the journey, or a second tunic,

or sandals, or walking stick.
The laborer deserves his keep.


In other versions, Jesus tells his disciples to bring only the essentials. However, the gospel today is more drastic. Jesus told his disciples not to bring anything. He wanted his disciples to just focus on the task at hand. He doesn’t want them to be distracted. And he wanted them to have faith in him - to believe that He will provide. He knew their needs, and provided for them.


However, in today’s day and age, we feel that as though we need a lot of things to survive. There are a lot things that we feel we need with us every time. When we travel, we bring with us smartphones, powerbanks, among others. That’s why sometimes, instead of enjoying our journey and focusing on it, our attention is divided because we have to think of what we brought, making sure nothing gets lost or left behind, checking if we have battery, and spare battery, to take pictures; making sure there’s signal for mobile and internet use and social media uploads.

This is exactly what Jesus did not want to happen to his apostles. He wanted them to remain simple so they could focus on their task. More than that, they wanted them to have faith that God will provide as they stay focused on God.  


As I look at my things, what are the extras that seem to be necessities to me? As I look at my life, what are the extras that seem to be necessities? What are weighing me down? What things, people or habits are hindering me from focusing on God and on the task he has for me? What are hindering me from fully trusting and surrendering to God? Am I willing to let go?


May we be challenged and see what things we do not really need, the things that are taking our focus away from God and the task he has in store for us. Let us develop our faith in God’s providence – he still provides, until now!


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for reminding me the importance of staying light – to rid ourselves of anything and everything that prevents us from focusing on you and from doing what you want us to do, and from fully depending on you. Lord, sorry for the times I get distracted and focus on the wrong things in life. Sorry for not focusing on you. Sorry for not trusting you. Lord, there are a lot of distractions in life, and I ask that you help me keep my focus on you. Help me have faith and depend on you as I take this journey towards you. I have faith that you will always provide as long as I focus on you and put you first. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-



July 12, 2018

Thursday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 386


Reading 1 HOS 11:1-4, 8E-9

Thus says the LORD:
When Israel was a child I loved him,
out of Egypt I called my son.
The more I called them,
the farther they went from me,
Sacrificing to the Baals
and burning incense to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords,
with bands of love;
I fostered them like one
who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.

My heart is overwhelmed,
my pity is stirred.
I will not give vent to my blazing anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again;
For I am God and not man,
the Holy One present among you;
I will not let the flames consume you.


Responsorial Psalm PS 80:2AC AND 3B, 15-16

R. (4b) Let us see your face, Lord, and we shall be saved.
O shepherd of Israel, hearken.
From your throne upon the cherubim, shine forth.
Rouse your power.
R. Let us see your face, Lord, and we shall be saved.
Once again, O LORD of hosts,
look down from heaven, and see:
Take care of this vine,
and protect what your right hand has planted,
the son of man whom you yourself made strong.
R. Let us see your face, Lord, and we shall be saved.


Alleluia MK 1:15

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The Kingdom of God is at hand:
repent and believe in the Gospel.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 10:7-15

Jesus said to his Apostles:
“As you go, make this proclamation:
‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’
Cure the sick, raise the dead,
cleanse the lepers, drive out demons.
Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give.
Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts;
no sack for the journey, or a second tunic,
or sandals, or walking stick.
The laborer deserves his keep.
Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it,
and stay there until you leave.
As you enter a house, wish it peace.
If the house is worthy,
let your peace come upon it;
if not, let your peace return to you.
Whoever will not receive you or listen to your wordsC
go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.
Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable
for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment
than for that town.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...