Monday, July 2, 2018

What It Takes


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/070218.cfm) reminds me of what it takes to follow God, and how serious it is. 


It is very hard to be an athlete. They train for hours to be the best in their sport. Not only that, it is actually a lifestyle. They eat proper food, get enough sleep, and skip late night activities and other things that will be bad for their training and conditioning. Serious stuff. They do a lot and give up a lot to be able to prepare well and be the best they can be. This should also be our attitude as we serve God.


In the gospel, Jesus is saying that serving God is serious. We see Jesus telling us what it takes. The scribe came to him, wanting to be his disciple. But he reminded him how challenging it will be. Animals have places to stay, Jesus the Son of Man do not. This just shows how unrewarding in the world this would be. Probably applicable t him since as a scribe, he is used to honors and in being important in society. You won’t get that with Jesus. On the other hand, The other disciple told Jesus that he would first take care of things at home. He is delaying responding to God. He has worldly things to take care of first. This reminds us that One’s obligations to family and social responsibilities should not get in the way of our serving God. Once we say yes to serving God, we should not look back at our old life, at other responsibilities, or anything that will hinder us from serving Him. 


This is what is takes to serve God, full focus on Him. 


There are times it is easy to serve God. When things are new and fun, when you’re serving with friends, when activities are nice and easy, it is very fun to serve God. However, we should continue serving Him when things change. When the demands at work are overwhelming, or when there are concerns in life – financial concerns, health concerns, relationship concerns, then it becomes a challenge serving God. We should serve him even if we are not rewarded by the world, or if we are not acknowledged and even judged by the world. This is the time our character is built. This is the time we really need to serve God. This is the time to focus on Him and not on other things that hinder us from serving Him.


Do I serve God in my life? How? Am I living my life pleasing to God and in accordance to his values? Do I seek worldly rewards and recognition as I serve God? Do I give excuses for not serving God? Do I delay in serving him? In what ways? What is he telling me today?


May we be inspired by the readings to take seriously serving God. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another Sunday. thank you for the reminder. Lord, thank you for the opportunity to serve you. Sorry for the times I do not serve you. Sorry for having lots of reasons and excuses for not serving you. Sorry for delaying serving you. And sorry for expecting rewards as I serve you. Lord, I will serve you because I love you. I know you call us to serve in different ways, and I pray that I would always be sensitive to the ways you are calling me to serve you. and when I hear you, help me be serious about it. Despite all the challenges and distractions, help me focus on you and serve you despite of everything. I know it will make you happy. As I serve you, use my service to bring glory to your name. Amen.


Blessed Week!


In Christ,

-g-



July 2, 2018

Monday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 377


Reading 1 AM 2:6-10, 13-16

Thus says the LORD:
For three crimes of Israel, and for four,
I will not revoke my word;
Because they sell the just man for silver,
and the poor man for a pair of sandals.
They trample the heads of the weak
into the dust of the earth,
and force the lowly out of the way.
Son and father go to the same prostitute,
profaning my holy name.
Upon garments taken in pledge
they recline beside any altar;
And the wine of those who have been fined
they drink in the house of their god.

Yet it was I who destroyed the Amorites before them,
who were as tall as the cedars,
and as strong as the oak trees.
I destroyed their fruit above,
and their roots beneath.
It was I who brought you up from the land of Egypt,
and who led you through the desert for forty years,
to occupy the land of the Amorites.

Beware, I will crush you into the ground
as a wagon crushes when laden with sheaves.
Flight shall perish from the swift,
and the strong man shall not retain his strength;
The warrior shall not save his life,
nor the bowman stand his ground;
The swift of foot shall not escape,
nor the horseman save his life.
And the most stouthearted of warriors
shall flee naked on that day, says the LORD.



R. (22a) Remember this, you who never think of God.
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?"
R. Remember this, you who never think of God.
"When you see a thief, you keep pace with him,
and with adulterers you throw in your lot.
To your mouth you give free rein for evil,
you harness your tongue to deceit."
R. Remember this, you who never think of God.
"You sit speaking against your brother;
against your mother's son you spread rumors.
When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes."
R. Remember this, you who never think of God.
"Consider this, you who forget God,
lest I rend you and there be no one to rescue you.
He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me;
and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God."
R. Remember this, you who never think of God.


Alleluia PS 95:8

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
If today you hear his voice,
harden not your hearts.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 8:18-22

When Jesus saw a crowd around him,
he gave orders to cross to the other shore.
A scribe approached and said to him,
"Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head."
Another of his disciples said to him,
"Lord, let me go first and bury my father."
But Jesus answered him, "Follow me,
and let the dead bury their dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...