Thursday, July 5, 2018

Faith of Others


The WORD today(see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/070518.cfm) reminds me that the faith of others can bless me. 


There are people in our lives that we look up to in the aspect of faith. We ask people to pray for and with us. There are people whose faith inspires us. And in today’s gospel, we are reminded that God can use the faith of others and bless us because of them.

Your faith can bless others around you.

People came and brought the man in a stretcher. In the gospel of Mark, it was specified that there were four people who brought the man. These people, probably friends of the paralytic man, had great faith. It was not easy to carry the man and bring him to Jesus. They probably could have just thought of themselves and came to Jesus, instead of making the effort to bring the man in a stretcher. But they had great faith in Jesus that they were willing to go the extra mile for the paralyzed man. They had faith Jesus could do something about it, else they would not make the effort to bring him. And when Jesus saw this, especially the faith of the men, he forgave the man and healed him.


Like stars that shine brightest during the darkest of night, faith shines brightest during the toughest of situations.


In life, we are also faced with challenges. Things don’t come easy. There are a of of problems. However, we are reminded to have faith for God will honor it. God does not disappoint, and will hear those who have great faith in Him.  We are also reminded not just to have friends who have a lot of faith or who are very spiritual, but be that kind of friend to others as well. 


Do I have faith in God? Is my faith limited to normal situations, or do I still have faith in him in seemingly impossible and difficult situations? Is my faith beneficial to others? How can I improve my faith? How can my faith bless others and proclaim God’s kingdom?


May our faith benefit not just ourselves, but others around us as well.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I don't have enough faith in you. Sorry for the times I give up and surrender, instead of fighting for my faith. Increase my faith. Lord, I thank you for the gift of faith. Thank you for honoring my faith, and for giving me friends who pray for me. I also ask you that you help me strengthen my faith, not just for myself and my needs, but so that I may be able to bless others through it. May my faith be instrumental in blessing others and bringing them to you. May my faith bring glory to your name. Use me for your purpose. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-



July 5, 2018

Thursday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 380


Reading 1 AM 7:10-17

Amaziah, the priest of Bethel, sent word to Jeroboam,
king of Israel:
"Amos has conspired against you here within Israel;
the country cannot endure all his words.
For this is what Amos says:
Jeroboam shall die by the sword,
and Israel shall surely be exiled from its land."

To Amos, Amaziah said:
"Off with you, visionary, flee to the land of Judah!
There earn your bread by prophesying,
but never again prophesy in Bethel;
for it is the king's sanctuary and a royal temple."
Amos answered Amaziah, "I was no prophet,
nor have I belonged to a company of prophets;
I was a shepherd and a dresser of sycamores.
The LORD took me from following the flock, and said to me,
'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'
Now hear the word of the LORD!"

You say: prophesy not against Israel,
preach not against the house of Isaac.
Now thus says the LORD:
Your wife shall be made a harlot in the city,
and your sons and daughters shall fall by the sword;
Your land shall be divided by measuring line,
and you yourself shall die in an unclean land;
Israel shall be exiled far from its land.


Responsorial Psalm PS 19:8, 9, 10, 11

R. (10cd) The judgments of the Lord are true, and all of them are just.
The law of the LORD is perfect,
refreshing the soul;
The decree of the LORD is trustworthy,
giving wisdom to the simple.
R. The judgments of the Lord are true, and all of them are just.
The precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
The command of the LORD is clear,
enlightening the eye.
R. The judgments of the Lord are true, and all of them are just.
The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever;
The ordinances of the LORD are true,
all of them just.
R. The judgments of the Lord are true, and all of them are just.
They are more precious than gold,
than a heap of purest gold;
Sweeter also than syrup
or honey from the comb.
R. The judgments of the Lord are true, and all of them are just.


Alleluia 2 COR 5:19

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ
and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 9:1-8

After entering a boat, Jesus made the crossing, and came into his own town.
And there people brought to him a paralytic lying on a stretcher.
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic,
"Courage, child, your sins are forgiven."
At that, some of the scribes said to themselves,
"This man is blaspheming."
Jesus knew what they were thinking, and said,
"Why do you harbor evil thoughts?
Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,'
or to say, 'Rise and walk'?
But that you may know that the Son of Man
has authority on earth to forgive sins"–
he then said to the paralytic,
"Rise, pick up your stretcher, and go home."
He rose and went home.
When the crowds saw this they were struck with awe
and glorified God who had given such authority to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...