Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Family of God


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/072418.cfm) reminds me what I should do to tell God I want to be a part of his family. 


Life is unfair, both in good ways and in bad. Some people are born at an advantage - to a good family, financially abundant, healthy, with all the needed connections, etc. however, others are born at a disadvantage - with sickness, financial problems, etc. This may be the situation in the world, but not in our spiritual life. 


We can all be part of God's family if we want to. 


In the gospel, Jesus said that his mother and his brothers are not just in the worldly sense, but more so in the faith aspect. Jesus considers his mother and brothers, his family, those who do the will of God the Father. This means that even if we are born at a disadvantage in this world, we can still be part of God's family if we want to. If we do God's commandments. 


Doing God's commandments welcomes us in God's family. We are all welcomed. It is just up to us if we really want to be a part of it. When we do God's commandments and live in his ways, then we are telling him we want to be part of his family. We are telling him that we love him. We are telling him that we are willing to surrender and be governed by Him. We are telling him that we subject ourselves in his will and he can do to us what he wants to do. 


Surrendering to God makes it easy for Him to bless us according to his plans and to his will. Opening up ourselves and our lives to him makes it easier for God to give us all he wants to. Doing these things make it easier for us to enjoy the benefits that come with being God's children. 


How is my life? Do I feel that I am very blessed, or do I feel I am at a disadvantage? What am I doing about the situation? Am I sharing my blessings to others? Am I working hard to improve my situation? Do I want to be part of God’s family? Am I doing what God wants? How can I tell God I want to be part of his family?


We may not be in the best situation in this world, but we can in our spiritual life. May we be willing to surrender to God, do his will, and let him treat us as his children. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another chance to be part of your family. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I let the world dictate how my life would be. Sorry for thinking I cannot do anything about my situation. Sorry for not doing what I can to be part of your family. Lord, help me do my part. I humble myself and allow you to take control. I will do my best to always do your will. Because Lord you know that I want to be part of your family. You know I love you. And I will do my best to tell you that and to prove that to you every day. Amen. 


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-



July 24, 2018

Tuesday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 396



Reading 1 MI 7:14-15, 18-20

Shepherd your people with your staff,
the flock of your inheritance,
That dwells apart in a woodland,
in the midst of Carmel.
Let them feed in Bashan and Gilead,
as in the days of old;
As in the days when you came from the land of Egypt,
show us wonderful signs.

Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt
and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance;
Who does not persist in anger forever,
but delights rather in clemency,
And will again have compassion on us,
treading underfoot our guilt?
You will cast into the depths of the sea
all our sins;
You will show faithfulness to Jacob,
and grace to Abraham,
As you have sworn to our fathers
from days of old.


Responsorial Psalm PS 85:2-4, 5-6, 7-8

R. (8a) Lord, show us your mercy and love.
You have favored, O LORD, your land;
you have brought back the captives of Jacob.
You have forgiven the guilt of your people;
you have covered all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your wrath;
you have revoked your burning anger.
R. Lord, show us your mercy and love.
Restore us, O God our savior,
and abandon your displeasure against us.
Will you be ever angry with us,
prolonging your anger to all generations?
R. Lord, show us your mercy and love.
Will you not instead give us life;
and shall not your people rejoice in you?
Show us, O LORD, your kindness,
and grant us your salvation.
R. Lord, show us your mercy and love.


Alleluia JN 14:23

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Whoever loves me will keep my word,
and my Father will love him
and we will come to him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 12:46-50

While Jesus was speaking to the crowds,
his mother and his brothers appeared outside,
wishing to speak with him.
Someone told him, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside,
asking to speak with you."
But he said in reply to the one who told him,
"Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?"
And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said,
"Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father
is my brother, and sister, and mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...