Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Kingdom Builder


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/071018.cfm) reminds me that I should do my part to build God’s kingdom. 


In movies, the credits take a while to be finished. And when you read it, you realize that making a movie is a very complicated activity. It takes a lot of work. A lot of money. And a lot of people to get it done. And with great movies, people are just so happy and proud that they are part of the team that worked on that movie. Not just the director or lead actors, people are proud to contribute as well. This is what we should be aiming for with God’s kingdom. 


We should be proud and contribute to build God’s kingdom. 


In the gospel, we see that Jesus tirelessly worked for God’s kingdom. He proclaimed the gospel and healed the sick everywhere he can. He worked tirelessly and did many things.  However, he cannot do it alone. He also said in the gospel that the laborers are few. God needs workers for his kingdom. not because he is powerless, but because people generally need human interaction to feel God’s love. God needs us to help him in building his kingdom on earth. God needs warm bodies to reach out to others, to make others feel His love for them. We cannot just think that God is powerful and will send someone to help. Maybe we are that someone God is sending to help others.

God needs workers for his kingdom.


As Jesus sent his disciples on a mission, he too is sending us. Life on earth should not just be about us. It should not be just about what we want to do or to happen. We should not forget who gave us life in the first place. We should not forget who loved us first, who saved us, and who continues to bless us.


As we are blessed, as we are filled with God’s love, we are also called to pass it to others. We are blessed not for us to keep it, but bless others as well. We experience God not just for us to treasure the moment, but share him with others. We have a relationship with God not just for ourselves, but for others to have the same relationship as well.


It is easy to just focus on oneself, on the people you love, on what you want. But God reminds us that we should also be workers for him. No matter where we are and what we do, we are called to be workers for God’s kingdom.

Am I doing my share to build God’s kingdom on earth? How? In what way am I building God’s kingdom on earth? Am I living in a way pleasing to God and consistent with his gospel values? How can I build his kingdom in my life - my school, work, business, and family?


May we be willing to do our part and build God's kingdom here on earth, in whatever way we can. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another opportunity to feel your love. Thank you for all the blessings. Thank you for the reminder of what you want and need me to do. Sorry for the times I just focus in myself. Sorry for making up excuses and justifications for not working for you. Sorry for being selfish and hard headed. Lord, help me be a willing worker for your kingdom. Help me be like Jesus and the disciples who tirelessly worked for you. May I be willing to step out of my comfort zone and do things for your kingdom. As I do my best, I ask that you bless my actions and bless my efforts so people can get to know you and get to feel you. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-


Ps

See related reflection:




July 10, 2018

Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 384


Reading 1  HOS 8:4-7, 11-13

Thus says the LORD:
They made kings in Israel, but not by my authority;
they established princes, but without my approval.
With their silver and gold they made
idols for themselves, to their own destruction.
Cast away your calf, O Samaria!
my wrath is kindled against them;
How long will they be unable to attain
innocence in Israel?
The work of an artisan,
no god at all,
Destined for the flames—
such is the calf of Samaria!

When they sow the wind,
they shall reap the whirlwind;
The stalk of grain that forms no ear
can yield no flour;
Even if it could,
strangers would swallow it.

When Ephraim made many altars to expiate sin,
his altars became occasions of sin.
Though I write for him my many ordinances,
they are considered as a stranger’s.
Though they offer sacrifice,
immolate flesh and eat it,
the LORD is not pleased with them.
He shall still remember their guilt
and punish their sins;
they shall return to Egypt.


Responsorial Psalm PS 115:3-4, 5-6, 7AB-8, 9-10

R. (9a) The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Our God is in heaven;
whatever he wills, he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,
the handiwork of men.
R. The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
They have mouths but speak not;
they have eyes but see not;
They have ears but hear not;
they have noses but smell not.
R. The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
They have hands but feel not;
they have feet but walk not.
Their makers shall be like them,
everyone that trusts in them.
R. The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia JN 10:14

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord;
I know my sheep, and mine know me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 9:32-38

A demoniac who could not speak was brought to Jesus,
and when the demon was driven out the mute man spoke.
The crowds were amazed and said,
“Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel.”
But the Pharisees said,
“He drives out demons by the prince of demons.”

Jesus went around to all the towns and villages,
teaching in their synagogues,
proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom,
and curing every disease and illness.
At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them
because they were troubled and abandoned,
like sheep without a shepherd.
Then he said to his disciples,
“The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few;
so ask the master of the harvest
to send out laborers for his harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...