Monday, December 12, 2011

Choose Wisely

The readings today http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121211.cfm give us two options for the first reading and the gospel. Personally, I just find this great because I love having options. Options give us opportunities to choose what we think is best, and lets us exercise and improve our decision making skills.

God always gives us options. It may not necessarily be between good and evil. Sometimes it’s between good and good – in which we have to choose not what we want or think is good, but what God wants us to do, what we know is the best. We see this in action in the second option for the gospel.

Mary, after being told she is to be the mother of Jesus, went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. She could have stayed home and took care of herself. She could have just wondered what just happened with the angel. She could have just pampered herself in preparation for her pregnancy with the Son of God. But she didn’t. She made a choice. She chose to travel to visit her cousin Elizabeth. Being pregnant did not stop her, it did not become an excuse. She chose to visit and be with her cousin as Elizabeth goes through the final stages of her pregnancy. With her visitation, Mary blessed Elizabeth, and the unborn cousin of Jesus, John the Baptist.

Reflection questions:

Do I see the options God is always giving me? Do I choose His will above mine? Do I allow God to use me to bless others? When I have problems or concerns, do I still allow God to use me? Do I step out of my comfort zone to bless others, or do I focus all attention on myself, thinking about my problem and expecting everyone else to help me out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...