Thursday, September 6, 2018

All is God’s


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/090618.cfm) reminds me that everything in this world belongs to God. 


A few months ago, there was an issue in the Philippines when our president called God stupid. Of course there are many reasons and explanations given by the press secretary, his spokesperson and even himself. People gave their thoughts. Some accepted it and some were gravely offended. Whatever his reasons are, I was just reminded by the first reading not to boast of human wisdom or achievement, especially towards God. 


We cannot boast of anything towards God. 


We cannot boast of human wisdom. In the first reading, it says that the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. God knows the thoughts of these so called wise people, and God knows they are vain. We cannot boast. God created everything. He made everything. He knows everything. The psalmist affirms this as he says that the earth and everything on earth belongs to God. 


God created everything. Everything. 


We cannot boast of human wisdom, of human achievement, of anything at all. God created us. God made things happen. God gave us opportunities. God gave us people to help us out. God gave us people who would believe in us. It is all God. He allowed things to happen. We cannot say we are self made, that we achieved everything on our own, or through sheer determination and hardwork. It was all God. 


God’s wisdom is different from us. 


In the gospel, we see this through Jesus. The would be apostles were in the sea all night. Yet they caught nothing. However, Jesus asked them to lower their nets. Probably not the best place. It was already morning. It was not as deep as where they were. But they followed. And we see what happens when we follow God. We see what happens when we submit to God. We get surprised. They caught a lot and experienced firsthand the wisdom and power of God. This should remind us of God’s wisdom, power and greatness, and help us put things in perspective. 


How do I see God? Do I recognize him as the all loving, all powerful, all mighty, all wise God? How do I see myself and where I am right now? How did I get to where I am? Did I work hard to get here? Do I feel proud and feel that it was all me who got me where I am right now, or do I recognize and acknowledge God’s hand in everything?


May we never boast of anything, and remember God’s hand in everything that happens to us in life. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I boast of my achievements, directly and indirectly. Sorry for thinking that I got to where I am because of my wisdom, hardwork and dedication.  Sorry for thinking that I deserve all I have because I worked hard for it. Awaken me. Help me put things in the right perspective. May I never forget your power and glory. May I never forget your hand  in everything. May I always remember and be grateful to you for all the blessings and favors you have been giving me. Amen. 


Blessed Day!

In Christ,

-g-



Ps

See related reflections:




Daily Readings



September 6, 2018

Thursday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 434


Reading 1 1 COR 3:18-23

Brothers and sisters:
Let no one deceive himself.
If anyone among you considers himself wise in this age,
let him become a fool, so as to become wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God,
for it is written:

God catches the wise in their own ruses,


and again:

The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

So let no one boast about human beings, for everything belongs to you,
Paul or Apollos or Cephas,
or the world or life or death,
or the present or the future:
all belong to you, and you to Christ, and Christ to God.


Responsorial Psalm PS 24:1BC-2, 3-4AB, 5-6

R. (1) To the Lord belongs the earth and all that fills it.
The LORD's are the earth and its fullness;
the world and those who dwell in it.
For he founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the rivers.
R. To the Lord belongs the earth and all that fills it.
Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD?
or who may stand in his holy place?
He whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean,
who desires not what is vain.
R. To the Lord belongs the earth and all that fills it.
He shall receive a blessing from the LORD,
a reward from God his savior.
Such is the race that seeks for him,
that seeks the face of the God of Jacob.
R. To the Lord belongs the earth and all that fills it.


Alleluia MT 4:19

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Come after me, says the Lord,
and I will make you fishers of men.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 5:1-11

While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God,
he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret.
He saw two boats there alongside the lake;
the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets.
Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon,
he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore.
Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.
After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon,
"Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch."
Simon said in reply,
"Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing,
but at your command I will lower the nets."
When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish
and their nets were tearing.
They signaled to their partners in the other boat
to come to help them.
They came and filled both boats
so that the boats were in danger of sinking.
When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said,
"Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man."
For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him
and all those with him,
and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee,
who were partners of Simon.
Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid;
from now on you will be catching men."
When they brought their boats to the shore,
they left everything and followed him


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...