Monday, September 10, 2018

No Stopping Him

The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091018.cfm) reminds me that nothing can stop God's plans for me. 

Sometimes we feel that a single mistake or missed opportunity caused us to lose on something. Sometimes we feel that our past mistakes prevent us from having a great future. Sometimes we feel that because we do not have the right connections or the right opportunities, we will not succeed. Sometimes we feel that because of an incident or a decision, we missed the opportunity to grow. This may be true in some aspect, but not with God’s kingdom.

What other people think or do cannot stop God from fulfilling his great and saving plans for us.

In the gospel, we see Jesus healing a man on a Sabbath, in the synagogue. There were many things that could have prevented it – the law prohibiting healing or work to be done on a Sabbath, the Pharisees disagreement with Jesus’ actions, and the situation having Jesus in the territory of the Pharisees. However, these things did not stop Jesus’ healing the man. These things did not delay God’s saving and healing plan for the man.

Nothing and no one is powerful enough to stop God’s plan for you.

No matter what other people say, no matter what the situation may be, no matter what other people do – these things cannot stop God’s great plans for us. Even if people oppose us, even if people bring us down, even if situations challenge us, these cannot stop God’s great plans for us. God’s love and power are greater than all of these combined. This should assure us and encourage us to keep our faith in Him. 

Do I believe that God is all powerful and all loving? Do I believe that God has great plans for me? Do I fear that other people might stop God’s plans? Do I think that some people are more powerful than God, that they can stop God’s plans from happening? What is God telling me today?

May we be assured that God is not limited by a perfect situationHe does not need a perfect environment for his plans to come to fruition. And may this inspire us to continue trusting in him, and continue to do our best to live right as we wait on his perfect plans for us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week. Thank you for another chance to love you and experience your love. Thank you for a very powerful reminder that no one and nothing can stop you from fulfilling your great plans for me. Lord, I am sorry for the times I am impatient and doubt your great plans for me. Sorry for the times I feel that I am trapped, that you cannot do anything for me because of the situation I am in. Sorry for thinking you are like a human being with limitations on external factors. Give me faith. Help me develop and strengthen my faith in you. May I have that great faith in you for I know that nothing and no one can stop your great plans for me. and as I wait for your plans to come true in my life, I will continue to love you, I will continue to serve you, I will continue my best to live right for you. Amen.

Blessed Week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:
  
September 10, 2018
Monday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 437

Reading 1 1 COR 5:1-8
Brothers and sisters:
It is widely reported that there is immorality among you,
and immorality of a kind not found even among pagans–
a man living with his father’s wife.
And you are inflated with pride.
Should you not rather have been sorrowful?
The one who did this deed should be expelled from your midst.
I, for my part, although absent in body but present in spirit,
have already, as if present,
pronounced judgment on the one who has committed this deed,
in the name of our Lord Jesus:
when you have gathered together and I am with you in spirit
with the power of the Lord Jesus,
you are to deliver this man to Satan
for the destruction of his flesh,
so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Your boasting is not appropriate.
Do you not know that a little yeast leavens all the dough?
Clear out the old yeast, so that you may become a fresh batch of dough,
inasmuch as you are unleavened.
For our Paschal Lamb, Christ, has been sacrificed.
Therefore, let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness,
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Responsorial Psalm PS 5:5-6, 7, 12
R. (9) Lead me in your justice, Lord.
For you, O God, delight not in wickedness;
no evil man remains with you;
the arrogant may not stand in your sight.
You hate all evildoers.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.
You destroy all who speak falsehood;
The bloodthirsty and the deceitful
the LORD abhors.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.
But let all who take refuge in you
be glad and exult forever.
Protect them, that you may be the joy
of those who love your name.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.

Alleluia JN 10:27
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord;
I know them, and they follow me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 6:6-11
On a certain sabbath Jesus went into the synagogue and taught,
and there was a man there whose right hand was withered.
The scribes and the Pharisees watched him closely
to see if he would cure on the sabbath
so that they might discover a reason to accuse him.
But he realized their intentions
and said to the man with the withered hand,
"Come up and stand before us."
And he rose and stood there.
Then Jesus said to them,
"I ask you, is it lawful to do good on the sabbath
rather than to do evil,
to save life rather than to destroy it?"
Looking around at them all, he then said to him,
"Stretch out your hand."
He did so and his hand was restored.
But they became enraged
and discussed together what they might do to Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...