Sunday, September 9, 2018

Alone With God


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/090918.cfm) reminds me how important it is to have time alone with God and away with everyone.

They say that the environment has a big influence on what you become. Behavior is affected by the environment you are in. if you are in a conducive environment and are always with intelligent and diligent people, you tend to be like them. If you are always with church friends who take their faith and spiritual growth seriously, you will most probably put a premium on your faith. However, this can also affect in a negative way. when you are with people who don’t give importance to their faith, you may also become affected. This is probably the reason why in the gospel, Jesus took the man by himself away from the people before healing him.


Alone time with God is important, and powerful.


Probably there were people in the crowd who were doubting Jesus. Probably they did not believe in his love and power. Probably their intention from bringing him the man was not for his healing, but to see if Jesus has power. Probably the man’s faith would be affected if he stayed with the people, so Jesus took him by himself away from them.


Personal relationship with God is very important.


No matter what other people may say or think, no matter what the situation may be, it is important to have faith in God. And this can be strengthened if we have a deep and personal relationship with him. and this relationship will be developed just like any other relationship – if we spend time alone, if we give importance, if we get to know him better. 


In life, people will have different opinion. Some will encourage you, and some will dishearten you. it is because of this that it is important to have our own personal relationship with God. No matter what other people may say, we should be firm in faith, focusing on Him and his love and trusting his plans. 


How does other people influence me? Do I let them be positive influence on me, or do I let them affect me in a negative way? Do I surround myself with people and with friends that would bring me closer to God and help me be a better person? Am I a positive influence on others as well? Do I spend time with God to build and strengthen my relationship with Him? How do I see prayer in my life? 


May we be encouraged to work on our personal relationship with God, and regularly spend time alone with him. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another chance to love and serve you. thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for the reminder on the importance of having a personal relationship with you. I want a deep personal relationship with you. Sorry for not wanting it enough. Sorry for not making the time to know you more, to build and strengthen my relationship with you. Sorry for taking you for granted. help me work on my relationship with you. I promise to make the effort to build and strengthen it, and I ask you to bless my effort. As I receive you today, may you continue to work to and through me. Help me be a better person, make me more like you. Amen.


Blessed Sunday!


In Christ,

-g-





September 9, 2018

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 128


Reading 1 IS 35:4-7A

Thus says the LORD:
Say to those whose hearts are frightened:
Be strong, fear not!
Here is your God,
he comes with vindication;
with divine recompense
he comes to save you.
Then will the eyes of the blind be opened,
the ears of the deaf be cleared;
then will the lame leap like a stag,
then the tongue of the mute will sing.
Streams will burst forth in the desert,
and rivers in the steppe.
The burning sands will become pools,
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.


Responsorial Psalm PS 146:6-7, 8-9, 9-10

R. (1b) Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
R. Alleluia.
The God of Jacob keeps faith forever,
secures justice for the oppressed,
gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets captives free.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
R. Alleluia.
The LORD gives sight to the blind;
the LORD raises up those who were bowed down.
The LORD loves the just;
the LORD protects strangers.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
R. Alleluia.
The fatherless and the widow the LORD sustains,
but the way of the wicked he thwarts.
The LORD shall reign forever;
your God, O Zion, through all generations.
Alleluia.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
R. Alleluia.


Reading 2 JAS 2:1-5

My brothers and sisters, show no partiality
as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ.
For if a man with gold rings and fine clothes
comes into your assembly,
and a poor person in shabby clothes also comes in,
and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes
and say, “Sit here, please, ”
while you say to the poor one, “Stand there, ” or “Sit at my feet, ”
have you not made distinctions among yourselves
and become judges with evil designs?

Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters.
Did not God choose those who are poor in the world
to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom
that he promised to those who love him?


Alleluia CF. MT 4:23

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus proclaimed the Gospel of the kingdom
and cured every disease among the people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MK 7:31-37

Again Jesus left the district of Tyre
and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee,
into the district of the Decapolis.
And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment
and begged him to lay his hand on him.
He took him off by himself away from the crowd.
He put his finger into the man’s ears
and, spitting, touched his tongue;
then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him,
“Ephphatha!”— that is, “Be opened!” —
And immediately the man’s ears were opened,
his speech impediment was removed,
and he spoke plainly.
He ordered them not to tell anyone.
But the more he ordered them not to,
the more they proclaimed it.
They were exceedingly astonished and they said,
“He has done all things well.
He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...