Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Children of God


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/092518.cfm) reminds me that we can all be children of God if we want to. 


There are people who blame their situation for the way their life turned out. Some feel they are at a disadvantage because of their family, because of their surroundings, or because of their environment growing up. They did not have the resources, the connections, and the proper atmosphere for learning and growing. In one of Tupac Shakur’s songs, he mentioned this: “…but if I had a better life, I would have lived a good life and did more things right…” it may make sense in this world. However, we cannot say this with God. His ways are not our ways.


We can all part of God’s family if we really want to.


In the gospel, Jesus said that his mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it. Relationship with him is not just by blood. Family with him is not just by blood. We are not at a disadvantage with God. We just need to hear and act on His word for us to tell him we want to be his family. We just need to live right for us to tell God we really want to be his children. And we will.


As we hear God’s word and act on it, we slowly become children of God. We slowly allow God to transform us to be more and more like him. We slowly tell him how much we want him and how much we want to be with him. That’s family. And as we continue to do that, we are slowly preparing our place in eternity. As we slowly choose him and act upon his word, we are preparing our final resting place with him. Family. 


Do I have issues and concerns about my family and my environment? Do I feel like I am at a disadvantage because of my situation? Is there anything I am doing about it? Do I realize that with God’s family, I am not at a disadvantage? Am I willing to do my part to be part of God’s family? 


May we be inspired by Jesus words. He welcomes everyone. May we take on his call to listen and act on his word, and enjoy all the benefits that come with being God’s family.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another chance to love and serve you. thank you for all the blessings. Lord, I thank you for your love and the opportunity to be your family. Thank you that I am not at a disadvantage no matter what situation I was born in. Sorry for forgetting this. Sorry for forgetting you and focusing on the world. I promise to act and do my part to be your family. I promise to not only listen but more importantly to act on your word. Help me live my love for and faith in you. amen.


Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-




September 25, 2018

Tuesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 450


Reading 1 PRV 21:1-6, 10-13

Like a stream is the king's heart in the hand of the LORD;
wherever it pleases him, he directs it.

All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes,
but it is the LORD who proves hearts.

To do what is right and just
is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Haughty eyes and a proud heart–
the tillage of the wicked is sin.

The plans of the diligent are sure of profit,
but all rash haste leads certainly to poverty.

Whoever makes a fortune by a lying tongue
is chasing a bubble over deadly snares.

The soul of the wicked man desires evil;
his neighbor finds no pity in his eyes.

When the arrogant man is punished, the simple are the wiser;
when the wise man is instructed, he gains knowledge.

The just man appraises the house of the wicked:
there is one who brings down the wicked to ruin.

He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor
will himself also call and not be heard.


Responsorial Psalm PS 119:1, 27, 30, 34, 35, 44

R. (35) Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Blessed are they whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
The way of truth I have chosen;
I have set your ordinances before me.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Give me discernment, that I may observe your law
and keep it with all my heart.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Lead me in the path of your commands,
for in it I delight.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
And I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.


Alleluia LK 11:28

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are those who hear the word of God
and observe it.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 8:19-21

The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him
but were unable to join him because of the crowd.
He was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside
and they wish to see you."
He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers
are those who hear the word of God and act on it."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...