Friday, September 21, 2018

Respond to the Call


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/092118.cfm ) reminds me that I should respond positively to God’s call. 


Not a lot of people would volunteer to something. I am one of them. I will not usually volunteer to do a task or participate in an activity. However, when someone calls me and invites me, I usually follow. Good thing God does not always expect us to volunteer and initiate things. He calls us. 


Today, we celebrate the feast of St Matthew, an apostle and evangelist, and one of the writers of the gospels. In the gospel we see how Matthew started in his ministry. He was a sinner, a tax collector. However, when Jesus passed by and called him, Matthew not only followed Jesus but welcomed him to his home – where other sinners came as well. I believe this signifies Matthew was just looking for an opportunity to repent and do good, from being a sinner, a tax collector, he wanted to change. He wanted a new start. And him inviting Jesus to his home and preparing his home to host lunch for Jesus, is a symbol of he preparing and accepting Jesus into his life.


God tirelessly calls us in different ways. 


Jesus just passed by and called Matthew, and it started the change in him. In the same way, I believe God calls us in different ways, most of which are seemingly normal and accidental. He continues to use other people to reach out to us, to invite us to come to him, change our ways, and love and serve him. He calls us by situations, wherein we are reminded that only God can help us out. He calls us by the poor people around us, reminding us we need to help others and be Jesus to others. He calls us through heartaches and pain, reminding us that it is only he who could heal and make us whole.

When God calls us, all he needs is for us to say yes - no matter what state we are in. Matthew was a sinner, a tax collector, yet he was used mightily by God. God does not need preachers and talented people to serve Him. He will provide for the means and ways we can serve him for who we are. The first reading says that we are all different, we have different talents and purposes, but the important thing is we serve God, that we use whatever we have for God’s purpose and God’s kingdom

How is my relationship with God? Do I wait for him to call me? In what ways does he call me? What circumstances does he use to call me? Who are the people he uses to get my attention? Do I recognize when he calls me? How do I respond to his calls?


We may not experience Jesus passing by and calling us personally like Matthew, but he calls us everyday using different yet personalized ways. May we be inspired by Mathew to let him come in, not only to our homes, but our lives as well.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for the beautiful reminder and the challenge. Lord, sorry for the times I ignore your call. Sorry for the times I don’t recognize your call. Sorry for the times I focus on other things that I miss you calling me. Lord, help me be like Matthew. Like him, I am sinful. Like him, I am just waiting for an opportunity to come back to you, to do things right. Give me a humble and contrite heart that would readily say yes to your call, and will welcome you in my life and in my heart. And as I do my best to respond to your call and serve you, use me like Matthew to bring people to you and glorify you. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-




September 21, 2018

Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist
Lectionary: 643


Reading 1 EPH 4:1-7, 11-13

Brothers and sisters:
I, a prisoner for the Lord,
urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience,
bearing with one another through love,
striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit
through the bond of peace:
one Body and one Spirit,
as you were also called to the one hope of your call;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
one God and Father of all,
who is over all and through all and in all.

But grace was given to each of us
according to the measure of Christ's gift.

And he gave some as Apostles, others as prophets,
others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers,
to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry,
for building up the Body of Christ,
until we all attain to the unity of faith
and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,
to the extent of the full stature of Christ. 


Responsorial Psalm PS 19:2-3, 4-5

R. (5) Their message goes out through all the earth.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Day pours out the word to day,
and night to night imparts knowledge.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.
Not a word nor a discourse
whose voice is not heard;
Through all the earth their voice resounds,
and to the ends of the world, their message.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.


Alleluia See Te Deum

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
the glorious company of Apostles praise you.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelMT 9:9-13

As Jesus passed by,
he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me."
And he got up and followed him.
While he was at table in his house,
many tax collectors and sinners came
and sat with Jesus and his disciples.
The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples,
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
He heard this and said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...