Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Focus on Him

  
The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111114.cfm) reminds me to just focus on Christ as we serve.

There are people who value affirmation. To them, it is important to be affirmed, to be told that they are doing a good job, to get a pat on the back. However, others take this a little too far when they expect affirmation in everything they do, and when they don’t do well if there are no affirmation and encouragement. This is the danger Jesus warns us about in the gospel.

Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded, say,
‘We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.’”

The lack of affirmation should not stop us from doing what is right.

We should not expect affirmation all the time. We should remember where we stand, and who we are. We are God’s beloved creations. We should remember that everything that we have, came from God. As such, we should be ready and willing to give back to him everything, we should be ready to serve him with everything we have got.

In the same way, we should also not expect blessings if we do God’s work. Though God is infinitely good and generous, and he will continue to bless us, we should not use our service and work for him as a means of getting favors or blessings from God. Working for God should be treated as such – service and a proclamation of love for God, not as an investment we plan to collect rewards after.

May we allow God to love us always, and may that love encourage us to love him back and serve him. As we do so, may we focus on Him, and not on other things.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to experience your love. Thank you for all the blessings. Thank you for loving me regardless of what I do and how I live my life. Lord, I pray that I may be able to profess my love for you through my life, through serving you. Help me be willing to do so. And help me to focus on you as I serve you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...