Monday, November 17, 2014

Faith that Sees


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111714.cfm) reminds me that there is no situation that should dampen our faith

Hebrews 11:1 defines is as: “Faith is the substance of the things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.” The blind man in the gospel clearly had this faith.

A blind man was sitting by the roadside begging,
and hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what was happening.
They told him,
“Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.”
He shouted, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!”
The people
walking in front rebuked him,
telling him to be silent,
but he kept calling out all the more,
“Son of David, have pity on me!”
Then Jesus stopped and ordered that he be brought to him;
and when he came near, Jesus asked him,
“What do you want me to do for you?”
He replied, “Lord, please let me see.”
Jesus told him, “
Have sight; your faith has saved you.”
He immediately received his sight
and followed him, giving glory to God.
When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.

Being a blind person, he begged by the roadside. Probably he was really desperate, but definitely not hopeless. When he heard the Jesus passed by, he gave all he got and shouted to get Jesus’ attention. When asked by the people to shut up, he did not lose hope, his spirit was not dampened, instead, shouted louder.

Makulit sya.

When he was called by people, not even Jesus, he showed even greater faith. Even if Jesus was not the one who personally called him, he knew that being summoned by Jesus would forever change his life. He had full faith in the power of Jesus, and he was not disappointed. He did not only get his sight, but he was saved as well. And when he did get what he wanted, he followed Jesus.

How about us? How do we react when we don’t seem to get what we want in the first try? Do we get angry or lose hope, or are we like the blind man whose faith was unwavering? What do I pray for right now? Do I have faith that God can grant me that? Do I have faith that he wants to, if it is according to His plan for me?  Am I willing to take a leap of faith? When God gives me what I pray for, do I remember to thank Him and live my life following Him?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another week to live for you. Thank you for reminding me that you do not disappoint. Thank you for reminding me how powerful and loving you are. Lord, help me improve my faith. Help me have faith and be persistent, especially when my prayers seem unanswered. May I have faith like the blind man. When faced with challenges or when I don’t get what I pray for, may my faith get stronger and still do my part. May I be brave enough to take a leap of faith, knowing you are there to guide and catch me. And Lord, when you give me what I pray for, may I never forget to thank you and live my life following you. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps.
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...