Monday, May 7, 2018

Be Strong


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/050718.cfm) reminds me that God wants me to be strong amidst all the challenges in life.


In the movie facing the giants, one of the moving scenes that stuck with me was during the latter part, when the coach was telling the leader of his team to be strong. He was telling him to continue fighting and leading, especially when it was difficult to. When he is weak. When he wants to give up. It is easy to lead when you're strong, and when things are normal. The challenge is to do this during tough times. This was probably what Jesus was thinking that's why he reminded his disciples in the gospel. 


It is easy to serve God when life is comfortable, when things are normal. But we need to prepare and be strong when challenges come. 


Life is not fair, and God wants us to be strong amidst the challenges and persecutions that life bring us, especially with regards to us being followers of God. In the gospel, Jesus said that his disciples then, and us until now, will experience persecutions, and he warns us ahead so we may be prepared and not fall away when we experience these things.

Following Christ is not easy.


Jesus experienced his share of suffering and persecution in this world, and we should expect them too if we are real followers of Christ. But He does not want us to succumb to these challenges. He wants us to be strong and hold on to his word as we experience these. God will give us strength to endure it, and the wisdom to look forward and know what is really important in life.


What things do I experience as a follower of God? How do I react to challenges and trials I experience as a follower of God? How can I improve my faith, especially during these times?

When we experience challenges that come with following Christ, may we learn to be strong and focus on Him.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week. thank you for the reminder. Lord, I am sorry for the times I get weak and succumb to these challenges and persecutions. Sorry for the times I prioritize other things instead of my faith. I ask that you continue to be patient with me. give me strength to face the challenges that come with following you. give me the wisdom to know what is really important and be able to focus on you. Increase my faith and help me continue loving and serving you, especially amidst all the challenges in life. amen.


Blessed Week!


In Christ,

-g-



May 7, 2018

Monday of the Sixth Week of Easter
Lectionary: 291


Reading 1 ACTS 16:11-15

We set sail from Troas, making a straight run for Samothrace,
and on the next day to Neapolis, and from there to Philippi,
a leading city in that district of Macedonia and a Roman colony.
We spent some time in that city.
On the sabbath we went outside the city gate along the river
where we thought there would be a place of prayer.
We sat and spoke with the women who had gathered there.
One of them, a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth,
from the city of Thyatira, a worshiper of God, listened,
and the Lord opened her heart to pay attention
to what Paul was saying.
After she and her household had been baptized,
she offered us an invitation,
"If you consider me a believer in the Lord,
come and stay at my home," and she prevailed on us.


Responsorial Psalm PS 149:1B-2, 3-4, 5-6A AND 9B

R. (see 4a) The Lord takes delight in his people.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Sing to the LORD a new song
of praise in the assembly of the faithful.
Let Israel be glad in their maker,
let the children of Zion rejoice in their king.
R. The Lord takes delight in his people.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Let them praise his name in the festive dance,
let them sing praise to him with timbrel and harp.
For the LORD loves his people,
and he adorns the lowly with victory.
R. The Lord takes delight in his people.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Let the faithful exult in glory;
let them sing for joy upon their couches.
Let the high praises of God be in their throats.
This is the glory of all his faithful. Alleluia.
R. The Lord takes delight in his people.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia JN 15:26B, 27A

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The Spirit of truth will testify to me, says the Lord,
and you also will testify.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Jesus said to his disciples:
"When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father,
the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father,
he will testify to me.
And you also testify,
because you have been with me from the beginning.

"I have told you this so that you may not fall away.
They will expel you from the synagogues;
in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you
will think he is offering worship to God.
They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me.
I have told you this so that when their hour comes
you may remember that I told you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...