Saturday, May 5, 2018

Hated For Christ


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/050518.cfm) reminds me that the world will hate me for being Christ’s follower. 


We know that the ruler of this world is satan. He has his ways in the world. And today, we are reminded by Jesus in the gospel that all his followers will be hated by the world.

The world loves its own, and since we are followers of Christ who is not of the world, the world will hate us. This is something that we should remember – as we face injustices and challenges of the world. We see evil people prospering, we see good people suffering, and now we are reminded why. The world is Satan’s and he gives worldly favor to those on his side, not on Jesus’.


Challenges and sufferings are expected to those who follow Christ.


A friend once told me that if you don’t experience sufferings and challenges in the world, you should examine if you are really of Christ. As believers, we do not want challenges and oppression. We do not seek it. But we should expect it and be strong about it. Jesus, our master, experienced these things, and it is our privilege to experience the same things he did – as long as we do so because of the right reasons. No slave is greater than his master. 


In the bible, Peter said that it is better to suffer for doing good, if it be the will of God, than to suffer doing evil. Not all suffering is due to being followers of God. Some people suffer because of their own decisions and mistakes, and it does not mean they’re suffering because of God. This should remind us to check the reasons for our sufferings. 


How is my life right now? Do I live my faith in and love for God? How am I living my faith? Do I experience biases, challenges and oppressions because I am God’s follower? How do I react to these? What is God telling me today?


May we remember to hold on to God’s word and promises as we experience suffering and challenges in this world.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another weekend. Thank you for the exhortation. Lord, sorry for the times I lose my focus. Sorry for being disheartened when faced with challenges. Sorry for not trusting in you enough. I ask that you help me focus on you. Help me hang on to your promises as I experience challenges and suffering in this world. may I always be faithful to you and have joy as I experience the same things you experienced in this world. Amen.


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-



May 5, 2018

Saturday of the Fifth Week of Easter
Lectionary: 290


Reading 1 

Paul reached also Derbe and Lystra
where there was a disciple named Timothy,
the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer,
but his father was a Greek.
The brothers in Lystra and Iconium spoke highly of him,
and Paul wanted him to come along with him.
On account of the Jews of that region, Paul had him circumcised,
for they all knew that his father was a Greek.
As they traveled from city to city,
they handed on to the people for observance the decisions
reached by the Apostles and presbyters in Jerusalem.
Day after day the churches grew stronger in faith
and increased in number.

They traveled through the Phrygian and Galatian territory
because they had been prevented by the Holy Spirit
from preaching the message in the province of Asia.
When they came to Mysia, they tried to go on into Bithynia,
but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them,
so they crossed through Mysia and came down to Troas.
During the night Paul had a vision.
A Macedonian stood before him and implored him with these words,
"Come over to Macedonia and help us."
When he had seen the vision,
we sought passage to Macedonia at once,
concluding that God had called us to proclaim the Good News to them.


Responsorial Psalm PS 100:1B-2, 3, 5

R. (2a) Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands;
serve the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful song.
R. Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Know that the LORD is God;
he made us, his we are;
his people, the flock he tends.
R. Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The LORD is good:
his kindness endures forever,
and his faithfulness, to all generations.
R. Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia COL 3:1

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
If then you were raised with Christ,
seek what is above,
where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel JN 15:18-21

Jesus said to his disciples:
"If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.
If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own;
but because you do not belong to the world,
and I have chosen you out of the world,
the world hates you.
Remember the word I spoke to you,
'No slave is greater than his master.'
If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.
If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
And they will do all these things to you on account of my name,
because they do not know the one who sent me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...