Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Gird


The WORD (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/052918.cfm) today reminds me that I should always be ready to do God’s work. 


There is a story about a pig and a cow. The pig was complaining to the cow “Life is unfair. I give others everything - my knuckles, my belly, my ears, some even lechon my whole body. But people don’t like me! They say I smell bad, that I am noisy. People even call me baboy! Unlike you, you just give your milk but people like you. They even made a drink named after your sound, Moo!” To this the cow replied – “Maybe this is because I give while I am still alive


All of us will eventually meet our creator. And it doesn’t matter how much money you will leave to charity when you die, kasi hindi mo talaga madadala yun sa pupuntahan mo. What matters to God is not what we will leave behind in this earth, but what we give while we are still alive. What we give while it still hurts. How we live our life on earth. 


In the first reading it says that we should gird up the loins of our minds. To gird means to secure on the body with a belt or a band. To secure. To protect. To be ready. One girds so he would always be ready - to attack, to go, to act. We should do this in our spiritual life. Let us start to gird our loins. Let us start preparing as we meet him. Ultimately, we will come face to face with God. We will give an accounting of our lives to Him. And based on how we live our lives on earth will determine where we will spend my eternity. 


These acts – reading the bible, sacraments, praying, are not enough to get me to heaven. Because we can attend the mass without being there. We can confess without meaning it. We can receive you in communion without being prepared.  We can read the bible, pray, and attend community activities with wrong intentions. Only one thing is needed for us to be ready - a surrendered heart. A heart ready to receive God. A heart ready to follow him. a heart ready to die of ourselves so that God may live in us


In the gospel Jesus says that there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age


We should be ready to give up things for God. We should be ready to act and see him. This would enable us to be ready to meet him. 


Waiting may not be easy, but being ready when we meet face to face will have heavenly rewards. God will also gird his loins and bless those who are ready upon his arrival. We should do our part and wait on Him as we prepare to meet him.  


Am I prepared to meet God? Am I doing what God wants me to do with my life? Am I always ready to serve God? Do I serve God? How can I prepare myself to meet Him?


May we always be ready to serve and meet God anytime. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another reminder. Amidst the busyness of this week, it is good to be reminded. Sorry for being so busy and for being distracted. Sorry for not focusing on you. Sorry for putting you last. Help me examine my life. Lord, as I look inside my heart, I know it is not so clean. But like your presence in the manger in Bethlehem, it is enough to make it clean, to make it a worthy place for you. Lord, I give you my heart – with all the sins, impurities and desires. Take it Lord. Live in it, Lord. And as I do so, I know you will slowly transform me to become more and more like you. as I do so, I will slowly become ready to face you. I will slowly be ready to act and serve you always. Help me live pleasing to you. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-


Ps

See related reflection:




May 29, 2018

Tuesday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 348


Reading 1 1 PT 1:10-16

Beloved:
Concerning the salvation of your souls
the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours
searched and investigated it
investigating the time and circumstances
that the Spirit of Christ within them indicated
when it testified in advance
to the sufferings destined for Christ
and the glories to follow them.
It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you
with regard to the things that have now been announced to you
by those who preached the Good News to you
through the Holy Spirit sent from heaven,
things into which angels longed to look.

Therefore, gird up the loins of your mind, live soberly,
and set your hopes completely on the grace to be brought to you
at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Like obedient children,
do not act in compliance with the desires of your former ignorance
but, as he who called you is holy,
be holy yourselves in every aspect of your conduct,
for it is written, Be holy because I am holy.


Responsorial Psalm PS 98:1, 2-3AB, 3CD-4

R. (2a) The Lord has made known his salvation.
Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done wondrous deeds;
His right hand has won victory for him,
his holy arm.
R. The Lord has made known his salvation.
The LORD has made his salvation known:
in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice.
He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness
toward the house of Israel.
R. The Lord has made known his salvation.
All the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation by our God.
Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands;
break into song; sing praise.
R. The Lord has made known his salvation.


Alleluia SEE MT 11:25

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth;
you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MK 10:28-31


Peter began to say to Jesus,
"We have given up everything and followed you."
Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you,
there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters
or mother or father or children or lands
for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel
who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age:
houses and brothers and sisters
and mothers and children and lands,
with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come.
But many that are first will be last, and the last will be first."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...