Saturday, May 26, 2018

Pray


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/052618.cfm) reminds me how important and powerful prayer is. 


When we have problems, we often hear from or tell others to pray. Magdasal ka lang. Ipagdadasal kita. Idaan mo nalang yan sa dasal. Sometimes, we just pray because we don't know what to do anymore. Sometimes we pray because we cannot do anything anymore. But in the first reading we are reminded that we should pray because it is important and powerful. And we should pray always, if we are feeling down, if we have problems, and if we are happy. 


Prayer is powerful. 


Prayer is our hotline to God. And it is important and powerful to pray. God hears our prayers. And will always be generous to his praying and trusting children. The more we pray, the more we talk to God, the more God can talk to us as well. And in prayer, we just don't talk to God. He talks to us. And as he does that, he slowly changes us and transforms us to be more and more like him. 


What is interesting is the verse that says that the fervent prayer of a righteous person is powerful. It further explained it by citing Elijah as an example. Wow. So we should aspire to be righteous. We should work on always being right with God, on being at peace with God. We should work on being one with God. This is because as we pray, we are becoming righteous. We are being filled with God. And as we are filled with God, our prayers become God's prayers. We become more sensitive to what God wants us to pray for. And if we are praying these things, God will grant them. 


How do I see prayer? Do I always pray? When? Do I pray only when I am sad and have problems, or do I pray with thanksgiving when I am happy and everything is going well? How can I improve my prayer life and my relationship with God?


May we be inspired by the power of prayer and make the most out of this gift. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for this weekend. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I don't pray. Sorry for the times I get too tired or too lazy to pray. Remind me of the power, importance and beauty of prayer. May I feel your love and presence through prayer. May I develop a desire for prayer.  And as I pray, I ask that you move me, fill me, and transform me to become more like you. Amen. 


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-



May 26, 2018

Memorial of Saint Philip Neri, Priest
Lectionary: 346


Reading 1 JAS 5:13-20

Beloved:
Is anyone among you suffering?
He should pray.
Is anyone in good spirits?
He should sing a song of praise.
Is anyone among you sick?
He should summon the presbyters of the Church,
and they should pray over him
and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.
The prayer of faith will save the sick person,
and the Lord will raise him up.
If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.

Therefore, confess your sins to one another
and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.
Elijah was a man like us;
yet he prayed earnestly that it might not rain,
and for three years and six months it did not rain upon the land.
Then Elijah prayed again, and the sky gave rain
and the earth produced its fruit.

My brothers and sisters,
if anyone among you should stray from the truth
and someone bring him back,
he should know that whoever brings back a sinner
from the error of his way will save his soul from death
and will cover a multitude of sins.


Responsorial Psalm PS 141:1-2, 3 AND 8

R. (2a) Let my prayer come like incense before you.
O LORD, to you I call; hasten to me;
hearken to my voice when I call upon you.
Let my prayer come like incense before you;
the lifting up of my hands, like the evening sacrifice.
R. Let my prayer come like incense before you.
O LORD, set a watch before my mouth,
a guard at the door of my lips.
For toward you, O God, my LORD, my eyes are turned;
in you I take refuge; strip me not of life.
R. Let my prayer come like incense before you.


Alleluia SEE MT 11:25

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth;
you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



People were bringing children to Jesus that he might touch them,
but the disciples rebuked them.
When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them,
"Let the children come to me; do not prevent them,
for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
Amen, I say to you,
whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child
will not enter it."
Then he embraced the children and blessed them,
placing his hands on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...