Friday, May 18, 2018

Rebanse


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/051818.cfm) reminds me that God will always give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and get right with Him. 


In Philippine street basketball, the term "rebanse" means that a losing team will be given a chance to redeem themselves. It means that the losing team will play another ballgame with the winners - a rematch to allow them to redeem themselves or take "revenge" for their loss. 

This is similar to what Jesus gave Peter in the gospel. 

When Jesus was arrested, Peter denied him three times, just as Jesus predicted. He left Jesus and denied him during the time Jesus needed his support the most. And after that, Peter felt so bad for what he did to Jesus.  So when Jesus rose again, he did not just tell Peter he is forgiven and asked him to work for God's kingdom. He first gave him a chance to redeem himself, to tell Jesus "I love you" three times, one for every time he denied Jesus. Then he was told to follow him. 


God gives us a chance to redeem ourselves, so we can be more confident and be more at peace with ourselves. Then he gives us a chance to follow him again.

Jesus also gives each one of us the chance to redeem ourselves. Our own rebanse from our sins towards him. He calls us to live right, and when we fall, we have the sacrament of reconciliation where we can confess and receive forgiveness, so we can again follow Jesus. He calls us to serve him always. And even if we say no he continues to call us, until we say yes to him. 


God is not a "one-false-move-you-die" God. God is a God of second chances. One mistake will not be enough to keep you from following Him. He will always be the gracious winner, giving us a rebanse - a chance to redeem ourselves and do things right. 

When was the last time I hurt Jesus? When was the last time I sin? What do I feel about it? Did I do something about it? When was the last time I confessed? As I receive forgiveness, do I make the most out of it and do my best not to sin again? What is God telling me today?


May we always make the most out of the opportunity God gives us to be on track and live right with Him. 

Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Friday. Thank you for being so generous and merciful. Lord, I thank you for being so patient with me. Thank you for loving me so much. Lord, thank you for always giving be a chance to redeem myself from my sins, from hurting you, and from saying no to you. Thank you for giving me a chance to be at peace with myself so I can love and serve you better. Sorry for hurting you. Sorry for bailing out on you when the going gets tough. Sorry for all my sins and for all my excuses. Help me make the most out of your goodness. Help me live right as you forgive me. May I take every opportunity to get back to you and to be used by you. Use me mightily, despite all my weaknesses and failures, and glorify your name. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-



May 18, 2018

Friday of the Seventh Week of Easter
Lectionary: 301


Reading 1 ACTS 25:13B-21

King Agrippa and Bernice arrived in Caesarea
on a visit to Festus.
Since they spent several days there,
Festus referred Paul's case to the king, saying,
"There is a man here left in custody by Felix.
When I was in Jerusalem the chief priests and the elders of the Jews
brought charges against him and demanded his condemnation.
I answered them that it was not Roman practice
to hand over an accused person before he has faced his accusers
and had the opportunity to defend himself against their charge.
So when they came together here, I made no delay;
the next day I took my seat on the tribunal
and ordered the man to be brought in.
His accusers stood around him,
but did not charge him with any of the crimes I suspected.
Instead they had some issues with him about their own religion
and about a certain Jesus who had died
but who Paul claimed was alive.
Since I was at a loss how to investigate this controversy,
I asked if he were willing to go to Jerusalem
and there stand trial on these charges.
And when Paul appealed that he be held in custody
for the Emperor's decision,
I ordered him held until I could send him to Caesar."


Responsorial Psalm PS 103:1-2, 11-12, 19-20AB

R. (19a) The Lord has established his throne in heaven.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Bless the LORD, O my soul;
and all my being, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits.
R. The Lord has established his throne in heaven.
or:
R. Alleluia.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,
so far has he put our transgressions from us.
R. The Lord has established his throne in heaven.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The LORD has established his throne in heaven,
and his kingdom rules over all.
Bless the LORD, all you his angels,
you mighty in strength, who do his bidding.
R. The Lord has established his throne in heaven.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia JN 14:26

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The Holy Spirit will teach you everything
and remind you of all I told you.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel JN 21:15-19

After Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and eaten breakfast with them,
he said to Simon Peter,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs."
He then said to Simon Peter a second time,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
He said to him, "Tend my sheep."
He said to him the third time,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time,
"Do you love me?" and he said to him,
"Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."
Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.
Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger,
you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted;
but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands,
and someone else will dress you
and lead you where you do not want to go."
He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God.
And when he had said this, he said to him, "Follow me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...