Saturday, May 12, 2018

Work and Reward


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/051218.cfm) reminds me to just work for God, and have faith that he will bless and reward me. 


In the first reading, we see Apollos, a Jew who taught and preached about Jesus, even if he only knew the baptism of John. He did not know a lot of things, he did not understand a lot of things, but he was zealous in proclaiming God’s kingdom! He was genuine in spreading God’s kingdom. He was generous in sharing what little he knows! Then, we see that God never fails to equip and provide us with the things that we need to serve him. Priscilla and Aquila taught him more accurately, and endorsed him to other brothers. That's how God takes care of us and plans everything. 

The gospel reminded me of what’s in store for us if we continue following Jesus. It’s inspiring to think of this…

The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures
but I will tell you clearly about the Father

Imagine, understanding things about God. Understanding things about the faith. Having a personal face to face conversation with Jesus! How great that would be. Something to look forward to as we live this life on earth, as we continue to serve Him especially when it is not easy to.

This is an inspiration as it is a challenge. 


Probably, we know more about Jesus than Apollos when he started. We have lots of personal experiences with him. We know stuff about him. But do we behave like Apollos? Do we proclaim his kingdom? Are we generous to share whatever we know about him to other people, or do we wait until we feel we know enough before we share? 


How about our lives? Do we live faithfully to the gospel values, or do we give up when it’s hard to? Are we keeping our focus on God, having faith in his great power and love for us, or are we easily distracted by worldly things? Are we willing to share and proclaim God?


It is never too late to act on God’s challenges. May we be inspired and challenged to do God's work and be excited for his reward to his faithful children. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for this weekend. Thank you for your word that encourages. Lord, sorry for the times I do not do this. Sorry for the times I am too lazy or too ashamed to proclaim your word. Sorry for having a lot of excuses not to talk about you. Give me a heart like Apollos who is willing to do the work for you. I pray that you equip me with the things that I need to serve you and to proclaim your kingdom. I also ask that you always remind me of the prize in store for me as I serve you. May I continue to be a faithful servant of your Son, Jesus. May this weekend not be a time of rest and recreation, but a time to recharge my spirit as well. Fill me up so it would be easier to share you to others. Amen.


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-


Ps

See related reflection:







May 12, 2018

Saturday of the Sixth Week of Easter
Lectionary: 296


Reading 1 ACTS 18:23-28

After staying in Antioch some time,
Paul left and traveled in orderly sequence
through the Galatian country and Phrygia,
bringing strength to all the disciples.

A Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria,
an eloquent speaker, arrived in Ephesus.
He was an authority on the Scriptures.
He had been instructed in the Way of the Lord and,
with ardent spirit, spoke and taught accurately about Jesus,
although he knew only the baptism of John.
He began to speak boldly in the synagogue;
but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him,
they took him aside
and explained to him the Way of God more accurately.
And when he wanted to cross to Achaia,
the brothers encouraged him
and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him.
After his arrival he gave great assistance
to those who had come to believe through grace.
He vigorously refuted the Jews in public,
establishing from the Scriptures that the Christ is Jesus.


Responsorial Psalm PS 47:2-3, 8-9, 10

R. (8a) God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
All you peoples, clap your hands;
shout to God with cries of gladness.
For the LORD, the Most High, the awesome,
is the great king over all the earth.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
For king of all the earth is God;
sing hymns of praise.
God reigns over the nations,
God sits upon his holy throne.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The princes of the peoples are gathered together
with the people of the God of Abraham.
For God's are the guardians of the earth;
he is supreme.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia JN 16:28

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I came from the Father and have come into the world;
now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel JN 16:23B-28

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
Until now you have not asked anything in my name;
ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

"I have told you this in figures of speech.
The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures
but I will tell you clearly about the Father.
On that day you will ask in my name,
and I do not tell you that I will ask the Father for you.
For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me
and have come to believe that I came from God.
I came from the Father and have come into the world.
Now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...