Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Shine in the Dark


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/050818.cfm) reminds me that God’s light shines even in the darkest of situations. 


They say that darkness brings out light. The darker it is, the brighter the light would be. This is why in the province, where there are more trees and less electrical lights, you can see stars better. Stars are brighter. We can also see this in the readings. 


In the first reading, we see that Paul and Silas were imprisoned. Not only that, they were beaten before being thrown into prison. They must have felt down and tired. The physical darkness of being in the innermost cell probably added to the spiritual and moral darkness they felt. However, this did not dampen their spirits. They were still faithful to God – singing songs and praying. Imagine, after being beaten and thrown into prison, they were still having this “prayer meeting.” God did not disappoint them – he made them feel his power and protection over them, and not only that, he made them realize that darkness cannot stop God’s glory from shining brightly. To add to that, The guard and his whole household was converted and came into faith. 


God's power and light shines in the darkest of situations, and are still effective in glorifying his name. 

In the gospel, we see that Jesus prepared his disciples for his leaving. Yes, there was grief in their hearts, but this grief will be turned into gladness when the Holy Spirit comes to them. The dark situation of Christ’s leaving them, turned into a glorious one when he rose from the dead and sent the holy spirit to always be with the disciples.

God cannot be stopped by the darkest night.

Again we see that what the enemy designed to stop God was actually turned into something to glorify God. God is powerful and loving, and no amount of darkness is enough to stop his love from flowing, to stop his glory from shining.


What are my fears? What is the darkest, the lowest point in my life? How did God manifest his love for me during that situation? Am I going through something sad right now? What is God telling me about it?


May we remember how powerful and how loving God is, especially during challenging times.



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for always talking to me through your WORD and the people around me. Thank you for your love that strengthens relationships and makes it easier to get by through life’s challenges. Lord, sorry for the times I lose my faith in you. Sorry for letting darkness overpower me. Sorry for thinking that you can be stopped by the enemy. Lord, I pray that I always allow you to fill my life with your love. I also pray that I would always be faithful to you, no matter how challenging life may become, may I be like Paul and Silas who continued to pray and praise you despite the darkness around them. Lord, as I do this, I know that you will continue to manifest yourself and your glory will continue to shine bright. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-


Ps

See related reflections:






May 8, 2018

Tuesday of the Sixth Week of Easter
Lectionary: 292


Reading 1 ACTS 16:22-34

The crowd in Philippi joined in the attack on Paul and Silas,
and the magistrates had them stripped
and ordered them to be beaten with rods.
After inflicting many blows on them,
they threw them into prison
and instructed the jailer to guard them securely.
When he received these instructions, he put them in the innermost cell
and secured their feet to a stake.

About midnight, while Paul and Silas were praying
and singing hymns to God as the prisoners listened,
there was suddenly such a severe earthquake
that the foundations of the jail shook;
all the doors flew open, and the chains of all were pulled loose.
When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open,
he drew his sword and was about to kill himself,
thinking that the prisoners had escaped.
But Paul shouted out in a loud voice,
"Do no harm to yourself; we are all here."
He asked for a light and rushed in and,
trembling with fear, he fell down before Paul and Silas.
Then he brought them out and said,
"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus
and you and your household will be saved."
So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house.
He took them in at that hour of the night and bathed their wounds;
then he and all his family were baptized at once.
He brought them up into his house and provided a meal
and with his household rejoiced at having come to faith in God.


Responsorial PsalmPS 138:1-2AB, 2CDE-3, 7C-8

R. (7c) Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple,
and give thanks to your name.
R. Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Because of your kindness and your truth,
you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Alleluia SEE JN 16:7, 13


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I will send to you the Spirit of truth, says the Lord;
he will guide you to all truth.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel JN 16:5-11

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Now I am going to the one who sent me,
and not one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'
But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts.
But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go.
For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you.
But if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes he will convict the world
in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation:
sin, because they do not believe in me;
righteousness, because I am going to the Father
and you will no longer see me;
condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...