Monday, November 28, 2011

Only say the word, and I shall be healed..


Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."
He said to him, "I will come and cure him."
The centurion said in reply,
"Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;
only say the word and my servant will be healed


How inspiring! The centurion in today’s gospel is a role model. First, he cares about his servant. During those times, servants are treated as slaves. People don’t usually give much attention to them, much less care for them. They are sold, and given one of the lowest position in society. This is why the centurion is very inspiring. He comes to Jesus asking for healing for his servant – not for himself or his family. Cool.

The other thing, and most important thing for me, is this centurion’s faith. The centurion, though a roman, had great faith in Jesus. He knows that in his position of earthly power, words are powerful. How much more Jesus’ power. He knows that only a word from Jesus is enough to cure his servant. How powerful Jesus’ word is! How powerful that faith is. We echo this during the mass, when we say that “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed”

May we always be reminded of that centurion’s great faith in Jesus and His word. And may we work on improving our faith, hoping that one day, Jesus will say to us what he said to the centurion Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...