Sunday, October 26, 2014

Do Not Abuse


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102614.cfm) reminds me that we should not abuse others.

Exploitation of the underprivileged is not uncommon in our country, especially during elections. We see politicians and people in power exploiting them. They take advantage of the situation and needs of the poor for their own benefit. This is what God strongly warns us in today’s first reading

Thus says the LORD:
"You shall not molest or oppress an alien,
for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.
You shall not wrong any widow or orphan.
If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me,
I will surely hear their cry.
My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword;
then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.

"If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people,
you shall not act like an extortioner toward him
by demanding interest from him.
If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge,
you shall return it to him before sunset;
for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body.
What else has he to sleep in?
If he cries out to me, I will hear him; for I am compassionate."

This is a strong warning not to abuse others. Just because they seem to be easy targets and can easily be abused by worldly power and money, does not mean God does not see it. It does not mean God approves of it. His silence does not mean his approval.

God is close to the poor and the powerless, especially if these people hold on to God.

They may not be able to do anything on their own, but God hears the prayers of the poor. He may not take revenge for the poor right away, but God knows when and how to repay what evil we have done for the poor.

We should remember that whatever we have, whatever power, influence or money we have, should be attributed to God. We cannot claim to have done anything on our own. Thus, these things should be used to help others, not exploit them for our own good.

May we be sensitive and grateful to whatever God has given us, and use these to help, not abuse, others.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday to rest and spend time with you and my loved ones. I am sorry for the times I do not make Sundays about you. Sorry for being busy with work or errands that I have very little time and attention for you. Thank you for the reminder today, Lord. Thank you for all the blessings you give me. And I ask that you help me be sensitive to others. May I never abuse others, especially the poo, in favour of myself. May I be a good steward of your blessings. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...