Saturday, October 11, 2014

No Excuses


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101114.cfm) reminds me that in our spiritual life, there are no valid excuses

I like hip hop and rap. And there was a point before that I listened to and re discovered old school rap. I like it because they don’t just rap about women, sex, parties and money. They had stories to tell. And one of the artists I liked is 2pac. One of his songs got me thinking, for a part of it goes like “…but if I had a better life, I would have lived a good life and did more things right.” This struck me, one because it reminded me again how blessed I am, that even if we were not wealthy, I was raised in an environment where you need not fear for your life, and would not have the urge to result to drugs and crime to be able to eat and survive. Second is because it made me think how tough it is for others to simply live and survive in a hostile environment.

What has this got to do with the readings? Unlike with the situation we were born into, which we have no control of, our faith and spiritual life is something we can control and do things about.

Jesus said in the gospel:

While Jesus was speaking,
a woman from the crowd called out and said to him,
“Blessed is the womb that carried you
and the breasts at which you nursed.”
He replied, “Rather, blessed are those
who hear the word of God and observe it.”

There is no excuses for not growing in faith.

We cannot do something about our affinity with Jesus. It’s done. We cannot claim to have met Jesus when we were young, or played with him, or experienced his physical gentleness or power firsthand. We can’t do something about it. But what we can do something about is our faith. Jesus said that “Blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it” He is referring to us! He is referring to anyone who wants to act on God’s word. He is referring to you. He is challenging you.

We may not have physically experienced the earthy body of Jesus, but he gives us an opportunity to experience him spiritually. And he gives that fair and open opportunity to everyone. Challenge is for us to actually take it. and live it.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for another opportunity to love and serve you. Thank you for another opportunity to rest. Thank you for reminding me that all is fair in you, in the spirit. Lord, I pray that I make the most out of it. There are no excuses for not growing in faith, so I ask that you help me grow and do my best to really flourish in faith and shine for you. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...