Sunday, October 19, 2014

More than Words


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101914.cfm) reminds me that God wants more than words from us.

Words are powerful. In society, people who are very good with words achieve a lot. There are a lot of powerful and influential people, who are not necessarily honest and intelligent,  but are just so good with words. They seem intellectual, honest, and believable, and this can get them in position of power and influence.

However, God is not someone who can be fooled with words, no matter how good you are with them.

God sees what is spoken not just with our words but with our hearts as well.

In the gospel, even if it was a seemingly honest question, with flowery words and praises in it, Jesus still saw the evil intent of it.

Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man
and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.
And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion,
for you do not regard a person's status.
Tell us, then, what is your opinion:
Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"
Knowing their malice, Jesus said,
"Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?”


Words cannot hide the true intention of the heart – not to Jesus. He sees what we mean, he sees the intention of our words and actions, he sees what is the real deal – for he sees the heart and what is in it. There is no use offering up flowery words or prayers to God, for he sees the state of the heart where those words come from. Rather than just being good with words, God wants us to be good with actions and intentions.

May we always remember that there is no way we can trick God, and be challenged to always live by what is in our hearts.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another Sunday. Thank you Lord for all the blessings you continue to give me, even if I don’t deserve these. Help me clean my heart, Lord. I know you see everything, and I know how patient you are with me. Help me clean my heart and live right, and not just be contented with a good play of words. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...