Thursday, October 9, 2014

Good Gifts


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/100914.cfm) reminds me that God always gives us good gifts.

The gospel passage is something that gets misinterpreted from time to time. Sometimes we interpret it in a way that we want to make it sound, to justify what we want to prove or what we want to happen.

“And I tell you, ask and you will receive;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives;
and the one who seeks, finds;
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
What father among you would hand his son a snake
when he asks for a fish?
Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg?
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit
to those who ask him?”

Jesus did not say that God will give us exactly what we need. He says that God will give us good gifts – especially the Holy Spirit, if we ask Him to.

God always gives us good gifts, but these gifts are not always what we want.

We have a lot of prayers for in life. we have a lot of things we want. We have a list. We are specific. But that does not necessarily mean God will give us those things. God knows what is best for us, and he knows the plans he has for us. And if those things we are praying for would be like dangerous snakes for us, even though we do not see it that way right now, then definitely God will not give us those things.

May we keep the faith and continue to pray to God, especially for his good gifts, yet be humble enough to accept when his good gifts are not exactly what we are praying for.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to know more about you. Thank you for reminding me how much you love me and that you have great plans for me. Thank you for being generous and for all the gifts and blessings, especially those I do not deserve. Lord, may I always be humble and accept your gifts to me, especially when those are not what I am praying for. Always remind me that you are God, and that you have great things in store for me. And no matter how much I want those things, if those are like dangerous snakes for me and your plans for me, you will not give it to me out of your great love for me. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...