Sunday, December 28, 2014

Holy Family


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/122814.cfm) reminds me how important family is, especially for God.

The basic unit of society is the family. It is very important, although nowadays there are a lot of things and forces that threaten the family. Unfortunately, some (or a lot) of people now give more importance to the self rather than family. Self first. If things are not doing well between spouses, instead of working together to improve things, they just opt to separate – which affects especially the children. Some people love themselves too much, that sex is done outside marriage or even if they feel they’re not ready to have a baby, and when something happens, they choose themselves and let go of the baby.

Today, we are reminded how much God values family.

The fourth commandment, the first pertaining to human beings, tell us to honor our parents. In the first reading we see again how important respecting parents are. Aside from it being a commandment of God, doing it has a lot of promised rewards. Indeed, no matter how imperfect our parents may be, God wants us to honor, respect, serve and love them. 

God sets a father in honor over his children;
a mother’s authority he confirms over her sons.
Whoever honors his father atones for sins,
and preserves himself from them.
When he prays, he is heard;
he stores up riches who reveres his mother.
Whoever honors his father is gladdened by children,
and, when he prays, is heard.
Whoever reveres his father will live a long life;
he who obeys his father brings comfort to his mother.

My son, take care of your father when he is old;
grieve him not as long as he lives.
Even if his mind fail, be considerate of him;
revile him not all the days of his life;
kindness to a father will not be forgotten,
firmly planted against the debt of your sins
—a house raised in justice to you.

The gospel shows us that Jesus, Gods only Son, had an earthly family. He had earthly parents. This shows us how important family is to God, that he gave his Son an earthly family. The second reading explicitly says how God wants us to value family.

Wives, be subordinate to your husbands,
as is proper in the Lord.
Husbands, love your wives,
and avoid any bitterness toward them.
Children, obey your parents in everything,
for this is pleasing to the Lord.
Fathers, do not provoke your children,
so they may not become discouraged.

May we always be thankful for the gift of family. May we always see the importance of family and always look at our parents with high respect and authority

Am I thankful for my family? What things have I realized today? How can I improve my family? How can I love my parents more? Am I willing to raise a family like the Holy Family founded on God?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for the gift of family. Thank you for using my family to make me feel your love. I am sorry for the times I take my family for granted. I am sorry for the times I fail to treat my parents the way you want me to. I pray that you help me be a better person, to be a better child or parent to my family.  May I be able to show to my parents, my children, and my family how important they are and how much I love them.  Amen. 

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...