Friday, December 26, 2014

Stand Up Everyday


The WORD Today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/122614.cfm) reminds me that we should stand up for God everyday.

Here in the Philippines, Christmas is not just a day. It is a season. They say that we have one of the longest (if not the longest) celebrations of Christmas. When September comes in, we already start to hear Christmas songs, and some start to put up decors and santa claus. In the same way, the real essence of Christmas should last more than just a day. It is sad when at the end of December 25, people would say “so this is Christmas” or “just like that, Christmas is over.” All the days and weeks and months of preparation for Christmas should no end on December 25.

We should live Christmas everyday.

It is by no accident that the day after Christmas, we commemorate the feast day of St Stephen, the first martyr. Like what Jesus told Peter, James and John in the mountain during transfiguration, he too is telling us to go down the mountain, back to our daily lives, and continue to live the spirit of Christmas, the spirit of love – and continue to stand up for God.

God loves us so much, and us feeling that love should move us to love him back.

They threw him out of the city, and began to stone him.
The witnesses laid down their cloaks
at the feet of a young man named Saul.
As they were stoning Stephen, he called out
“Lord Jesus, receive my spirit

Stephen died for his faith. He was not forced to. He probably could have run away from the people, but he chose not to. He chose to stand up for his faith. In the same way, we are called to be like Stephen. We do not need to be martyrs to show God we love him, that we appreciate his coming to save us, and that we are grateful. We should, little by little, everyday, make a decision to stand up for him - to honor him and live for him.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for bringing me back to reality. Thank you for all the gifts which you, the Celebrant, continue to give me. Lord I pray that I have faith like Stephen. May I focus on you and your glory, instead of focusing on my pains and complaining. Help me stand up for you everyday. Help me live for you and die of myself, so that you may live in me, and through me. Amen.

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...