Friday, December 5, 2014

Back At You


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/120514.cfm) makes me think of what will happen if God’s goodness would be based on our own goodness.

The movie flywheel is about a man who before his conversion was a shrewd car salesman. In one of the scenes, a pastor was buying a car from him. Like he always does, he gave him a  not-so-honest deal, making money for himself and putting the buyer on a disadvantage. But since the pastor did not know this, he was so happy with the deal and said a prayer: Lord, I ask you that you treat Jay just like he treated me today in this deal

What if God were to treat us this way?

The gospel today is similar in the sense that Jesus used the personal faith of the blind men.

As Jesus passed by, two blind men followed him, crying out,
“Son of David, have pity on us!”
When he entered the house,
the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them,
“Do you believe that I can do this?”
“Yes, Lord,” they said to him.
Then he touched their eyes and said,
Let it be done for you according to your faith.”

It is easy to profess our faith. It is easy to say we love God. It is easy to appear good to others. It is possible, like Jay in the movie, to appear to be doing good even if they really are not. However, even if other people do not know what is really inside, God knows. God sees what other people cannot see. God sees our deepest, darkest secrets. God knows our intentions. God knows how much we love him. God knows our faith.

God is infinitely good, and he treats us not the way we deserve to be treated. He is full of grace, and it is this grace, which translates to our undeserved blessings, that we experience in our lives. God will not force us to change before he loves and blesses us. But as we experience his love and blessings, we should be moved to improve and be better ourselves.

May we not be contented with what other people think of us. May our image or reputation be not as important as the real deal inside of us, the reality in our lives that only God can see.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend coming up. Thank you for all your blessings that I do not deserve. Lord, only you know me. Only you know what is really inside my heart. And I thank you that even if you see all of what is inside, your love for me does not change. Thank you for your great love, for your genuine love for me despite of all my shortcomings, of my deepest darkest secrets. I know how important faith is, and I know how you see the real me, so I ask that you help me improve my faith, to strengthen my spiritual life, even if other people would not see it. May I not look for recognition or a good reputation among others, but work to have a good heart inside that follows you, that serves you, that loves you. Amen.

Blessed Friday!



In Christ,
-g-


PS,
See related reflection:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...